Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Icon Stretch Idea (Possible? Maybe not. Awesome, YEA!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Icon Stretch Idea (Possible? Maybe not. Awesome, YEA!)

So, here's the idea. Have folder icon size on the desktop increase with data size. I have no idea how this could happen, but wouldn't it be cool to have a graphical representation of a folders size on the disk?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Icon Stretch Idea (Possible? Maybe not. Awesome, YEA!)

Quote Originally Posted by Eion View Post
    So, here's the idea. Have folder icon size on the desktop increase with data size. I have no idea how this could happen, but wouldn't it be cool to have a graphical representation of a folders size on the disk?
    In theory, until you get someone who has gigs and gigs of movies and music how big would the folder be

Beans
    Distro

Well, it would have to max out, I think the icon stretch already has a max size. I was just wondering if this was possible from a coding aspect

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Well, wouldn't it be bit of a mess?
    Have you posted this idea on http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com ?
    Sayak Banerjee
    KDE Sysadmin | KDE e.V.
    Need help? Contact us.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Eion View Post
    ... wouldn't it be cool to have a graphical representation of a folders size on the disk?
    Only if it is an optional feature. Preferably disabled by default.
    What would be the benefit? I know that my movies and music folder is bigger than documents or temp or downloads or... Images is my 3rd largest folder.
    Besides, in my file browser I prefer list view, so no real space for different icon sizes, anyways. In that file browser it shows me how many item are in every folder. To have the size displayed here would be more beneficial for me than represent it through icon size.

So, I would only see it on the desktop, which probably would look terrible. Besides the fact that I try to keep the desktop clean of stuff.
    It's not to discourage you, just I personally think this isn't practical. For me that is. Others might have a different opinion.

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Maybe instead of "stretching" the icon, you could dynamically define another folder icon the same size that visually shows an increase in size by adding "stuff". An empty folder would be visually empty and depending on what content is in the folder, say .mp3 and .txt, it would represent that by adding a music note or document inside the folder as an icon. This doesn't seem like it would be too hard to code, but then I'm not a coder. =P

For physical disk size representation you could have a dynamic emblem that tells the exact size in Bytes or even how many documents are contained in the folder.
    Last edited by Mr_Knuckles; September 24th, 2008 at 03:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro

The only folder that I could see that really being useful for would be the Home Folder and really only if you have it in a seperate partition. So then you could know at a glance if you were close to your partition size....
    “If we use fuel to get our power, we are living on our capital and exhausting it rapidly. This method is barbarous and wantonly wasteful....” Nikola Tesla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I think a better idea instead of it getting bigger maybe it could just get thicker and fatter. If you have gigs and gigs then it would look like a really fat guy
    (DESKTOP)Intel Core 2 Quad 3.0 Ghz, 4G ram, nvidia 8800 GT 1G, LOTS of architecture programs
    (LAPTOP XPS 1530) Intel Core2 duo 2.2Ghz, 3G ram, Nvidia 8600m gt

Beans
    Distro

By the way, I really like this idea.

I like to have my folders HIGHLY organized. I usually make "organize this" folders to dump data in, then structure it how I wish. It would be great to see visually if these folders are empty without the need for opening before I delete them. I can see other potential uses as well.

I don't really like the list view, as it isn't too visually appealing. This would enable a user to have the same data available in icon view.

Beans
    Distro

I'm not saying we make this default or anything, and I also LOVE the idea of the "fat" folder. I just did a "dump all the crap on my desktop into one folder" thing and was like "wouldn't it be neat, if this folder got bigger?" I guess this is sorta an idea for more visual representation of a folders contents. We have all these amazing desktop effects so why not expand into this area with that amazing-ness as well?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast