Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting ubuntu to recognise iriver E100 MP3 player

Beans

Getting ubuntu to recognise iriver E100 MP3 player

Does anybody know how to get Ubuntu Hoary to recognise an iriver E100 MP3 player.
    My computer has no problem recogonising an ipod when its connected via USB but it will not recogonise my iriver E100 player. The iriver player is connected to the computer via an MSC connection to a USB.
    Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Chris

Beans

Re: Getting ubuntu to recognise iriver E100 MP3 player

Does your computer see the device at all?
    What's the output of lsusb?

Beans

The computer does see it as sdd

Beans

Is it automaounted?
    Is it used just like a mass storage device, or does it need special care like Ipods?

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

You will need to format it in the correct format. Change it to the connection type that allows for hard disk mounting (MSC, not MTP).

Connect it to your Ubuntu computer via USB, and launch gparted from the terminal.
    If you don't have gparted installed, run: sudo apt-get install gparted.

You need to launch gparted as root, so use: sudo gparted.

Look at the terminal output once gparted has been launched. It should say that it wasn't able to recognise something. Possible /dev/sbX (X being a variable in this instance). In gparted, there should be a drop down menu (could be on something like /dev/sda by default). Choose the one that you read in the terminal (if there is only two in the list, it is the one that isn't selected by default. This is a list of hard disks etc, the default one will/should be the one Ubuntu is installed on).

Now, in the main part of gparted it should say "Unallocated Space". Right click on it and allocate whatever it wants you to allocate to it (I can't remember what it is, though you want the selection "MS-DOS", thought that is default). Now, it should still say unallocated space still. Right click on it, select new again, and select the partition type you want. You will want to make a partition of the entire disk, and you will probably want it to be FAT32 (unless you are planning on having a single file larger than 4gb on it). Follow the steps, close the program when it is finished, disconnect and reconnect your E100 and it should be able to see the list.

If you need screenshots (I just did it, but I can do it again if you need more specific details) I can post them here.

- Josh

Also, if you happen to find a way to get MTP working, that would be great. I am thinking a similar thing needs to be done (it be partitioned in such a way that Ubuntu can recognise), though for now I am happy with my player working)
    Hundreds of online flash games: OzGaming.

Beans

Spot on: Thanks for your help

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Chris2691 View Post
    Spot on: Thanks for your help
    Glad I could be of assistance .

If I get it working in MTP mode I will post here, as I wouldn't mind being able to use that (better music management), but having music is just good enough for me for now... it could be a format issue with MTP, but it is harder to re-format, and currently I have it setup so it works (to change I need to re-format it using the actual unit).

- Josh
    Hundreds of online flash games: OzGaming.

Beans

Are you now able to access both internal and external memory on the E100? When I connect my E100, only external memory mounts. When I connect the E100 to Windows, I get two drives, one for internal the other for external.

Beans

Ah, I am able to mount the internal memory manually (sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdc /mnt), it just doesn't automount. Maybe connecting a USB device is able to trigger only one action, in this case mounting external memory.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Getting ubuntu to recognise iriver E100 MP3 player

Hello Ubuntu minds,

I've been following this thread closely as my e100 difficulties are seemingly a combination of all the problems mentioned on this thread, however, my player is still unusable. Here is the history.

My e100 has been working perfectly for about 2 months, and then last week, when i tried to delete some old albums from it a message told me that I did not have the necessary authority to do this because it was a read only drive. I had made sure that it wasn't on 'hold' and rebooted several times, but to no avail. I also pressed the reset button, but again no effect. I read on the net that others had encountered this problem and that formatting the internal memory using the e100s own formatting function solved the problem. So i did that, but instead of solving the problem, my e100 failed mount, (at least visibly on the desktop) When i use the lsusb function it is visble however. It is visible through the 'Places' menu, but when i click on this, ubuntu tells me that i cannot access it, and that 'there is probably no media on this device.'

I then followed JoshHendo's gparted instructions to the word, however when I created a new disk label for it, it had no effect, and remained unallocated and unreadable.

And so this is where I am upto.
    Interestingly, when I plug it into a Windows machine, the connection menu on the e100 offers me only two options - 'power only' and 'power and play', but not 'power and data'.... and when i plug it into my ubuntu machine it gives me all three options.

Any ideas would be much appreciated, as I've just begun a six month backpacking journey of south america, and these 10 hour bus rides are going to get horrible pretty soon without some audio. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by MentalOxide; August 8th, 2008 at 12:39 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast