Thread: rebooting after scanning using Xsane?

Beans

rebooting after scanning using Xsane?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Linux. My first impression is that it is marvellous.

I have a problem, though, with scanning. I have succesfully connected my scanner and at first that was a remarkable thing. I did not have to do anything - just connect the scanner and everything seemed to work perfectly. But when I augment the resolution above 250 dpi, the programme blocks. In other words, after the scanning was finished, a window opened but without the menu balk on the top nor the standard linux balk at the downside of the page. This means I coudn't close the window. When I tried to save via ctlr+S, everything became grey - no opther option than to reboot. Same remark when I tried to close via the menu 'File'. I first thought that it was due to the printer (I have tried first a CanonScan N 650 U) but the same problem occurred when using a HP Scanjet 4070. Does anyone knows this problem or could help me please?
    THanks for your help.
    Best
    BC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: rebooting after scanning using Xsane?

Try this from the commandline...

Code:
    scanimage -x 215 -y 297 --mode Color --progress --format=tiff --resolution 300dpi > test.tif
    This will help see if it is a problem with xsane or the backend.
    When you've found an adequate answer to your post, click on "thread tools" and mark the thread as solved.
    If you find an answer on your own or elsewhere, share it here and mark the thread as solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just a quick (and might-sound-stupid) question... Do you intend to have what you are scanning printed commercially? If not, why would you want to scan at more than 150 dpi (home or small office printer resolution), unless you want to zoom out the result big time?

Cheers,

Z.
    Last edited by ZabiGG; July 9th, 2008 at 04:50 AM. Reason: missing an important word
    Self-appointed Newbie Advocate & Honorary Authorized Troll
    Ubuntu is Freedom. Learn the basics, then enjoy shaping your own.
    Need a place to start? Look here. Get help.
    PLZ mark your [SOLVED] posts. L.U. #471967

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ZabiGG View Post
    Just a quick (and might-sound-stupid) question... Do you intend to have what you are scanning printed commercially? If not, why would you want to scan at more than 150 dpi (home or small office printer resolution), unless you want to zoom out the result big time?
    Certainly not a stupid question. I personally scan old photographs for archival purposes. I scan them at 300dpi and store them in a lossless format for that reason. While 150dpi (or less) may be fine for online work and websites there are certainly times higher resolutions are to be desired.
    When you've found an adequate answer to your post, click on "thread tools" and mark the thread as solved.
    If you find an answer on your own or elsewhere, share it here and mark the thread as solved.

Beans

thanks fo this suggestion! the only thing, i don't know where to find the command line... as i wrote, i'm a complete and absolute beginner...

Beans

well, yes, i need fairly high resolution for i'm working on a ph.d. including scanned pics of old handwritten scores.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach Concentus View Post
    thanks fo this suggestion! the only thing, i don't know where to find the command line... as i wrote, i'm a complete and absolute beginner...
    Oops! Sorry about that.

There should be a menu item (either in utilities or system) that says Console (I use Kubuntu which is a little difference than Ubuntu). When you run that program you will get a command line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you going to do a lot of scanning you may just want to do it with a shell script instead of a gui. I use this script to scan a whole page at a time.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    stamp=`date +%s`
    filename=/home/alan/scanned_images/image_${stamp}.tif

scanimage -x 215 -y 297 --mode Color --progress \
       --format=tiff --resolution 300dpi > $filename

echo
    echo 'done'
    echo
    Of course replace 'alan' with your username and make sure you have a directory named 'scanned_images'

Once you create the script save it with a name like 'scan' and make it executable...

Code:
    chmod +x scan
    Then from the console (commandline) run...

Code:
    ./scan
    each time you wish to scan a page.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@aps

Great advice about the script, thanks

@bach

The "console" in Gnome is called Terminal

Click Accessories, you should find it.

You can also click on "Look here" in my signature below for starter info about Ubuntu/Linux. There is a great and user-friendly Terminal for beginners thread in there that might get you started nicely...

Z.
    Self-appointed Newbie Advocate & Honorary Authorized Troll
    Ubuntu is Freedom. Learn the basics, then enjoy shaping your own.
    Need a place to start? Look here. Get help.
    PLZ mark your [SOLVED] posts. L.U. #471967

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Bach Concentus View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to Linux. My first impression is that it is marvellous.

I have a problem, though, with scanning. I have succesfully connected my scanner and at first that was a remarkable thing. I did not have to do anything - just connect the scanner and everything seemed to work perfectly. But when I augment the resolution above 250 dpi, the programme blocks. In other words, after the scanning was finished, a window opened but without the menu balk on the top nor the standard linux balk at the downside of the page. This means I coudn't close the window. When I tried to save via ctlr+S, everything became grey - no opther option than to reboot. Same remark when I tried to close via the menu 'File'. I first thought that it was due to the printer (I have tried first a CanonScan N 650 U) but the same problem occurred when using a HP Scanjet 4070. Does anyone knows this problem or could help me please?
    THanks for your help.
    Best
    BC
    Are you talking about the viewer window that opens when the scan completes?

Try disabling visual effects before you open XSane.

Right-click your desktop > change desktop background > visual effects > none