Page 9 of 64 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Info and help for HP TX2500 Series

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Info and help for HP TX2500 Series

Quote Originally Posted by pluckster View Post
    Okay I just have to make sure I'm doing this right becasue I'm not getting to anywhere close to what you guys are getting so here are the steps I'm taking
    1. Start Alternate Installer with acpi=off noapic nolapic
    2. Go through installation
    3. Install the kernel using aptitude just after it configures the APT sources becasue it cannot find one
    4. Finish installation
    5. Reboot and boot with acpi=off noapic nolapic
    6. Login
    7. Type in the steps given by Astronomy on page two
    8. blacklist thermal
    9. reboot
    10. leave in only noapic nolapic
    11. Hangs while running through boot sequence
    12. Hard shutdown and sigh

Am I missing something or should I just wait for alpha 3?

P.S. Does acpi=off disable ethernet connections too because mine will not work.
    Maybe try without noapic and nolapic. I never used those.

And, acpi=off disables wireless but not wired networking.

Beans

Okay I just have to make sure I'm doing this right becasue I'm not getting to anywhere close to what you guys are getting so here are the steps I'm taking
    1. Start Alternate Installer with acpi=off noapic nolapic
    2. Go through installation
    3. Install the kernel using aptitude just after it configures the APT sources becasue it cannot find one
    4. Finish installation
    5. Reboot and boot with acpi=off noapic nolapic
    6. Login
    7. Type in the steps given by Astronomy on page two
    8. blacklist thermal
    9. reboot
    10. leave in only noapic nolapic
    11. Hangs while running through boot sequence
    12. Hard shutdown and sigh

Am I missing something or should I just wait for alpha 3?

P.S. Does acpi=off disable ethernet connections too because mine will not work.
    Are you using Alpha 2 or a daily build? Either way, it'd probably be easiest to wait for alpha 3. With Intrepid, you should never need to set acpi=off. It should just work, or I'm just really lucky.

tC: Awesome news. Following your instructions I was able to get the device recognized. I'm having trouble getting it to connect to a network, but since you didn't have a problem, I'm guessing it has something to do with Intrepid. I'll keep working at it.

Has anyone tried to run on batter power? When I do, I get about an hour and a half battery life on my 8 cell battery. We should be able to improve this somehow. Any ideas?

Beans

I too noticed that battery life is quite horrendous right now. I think some serious power management is in order.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AstronomyDomine View Post
    Are you using Alpha 2 or a daily build? Either way, it'd probably be easiest to wait for alpha 3. With Intrepid, you should never need to set acpi=off. It should just work, or I'm just really lucky.
    This happens with both Hardy and Intrepid, well the not working part at least. Hardy will at least realize its broken and shutdown while Intrepid just hangs.

I will take another crack at TCs instructions once more then if that fails I will just wait for Alpha 3

@corwinspyre - So my ethernet should be working? Ill have to try some other cables or something because it doesn't seem to work right now.

Beans
    Hidden!

This happens with both Hardy and Intrepid, well the not working part at least. Hardy will at least realize its broken and shutdown while Intrepid just hangs.

I will take another crack at TCs instructions once more then if that fails I will just wait for Alpha 3

@corwinspyre - So my ethernet should be working? Ill have to try some other cables or something because it doesn't seem to work right now.
    yeah, ethernet should be working

Beans

Good to see Wifi working, tC! So what else is left? Just more touchscreen stuff?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Touchscreen / digitizer has a few bugs in the wacom linux driver 0.8.1-dev version. I have received a reply from author in email, that he is releasing next version soon to address some critical issues.

I'll post how it goes as soon as I install it.

Beans

Thank you all very kindly for your support with this laptop, I've been able to establish a usable system because of your help.

Currently, my only kernel parameter is: "lapic_timer_c2_ok"

I recently realized that "nolapic" was disabling my second core; so, I looked in to the apic sources for additional parameters that wouldn't strictly disable LAPIC and I found the aforementioned parameter.

This seems to remove the kernel panic I was experiencing with full LAPCI enabled (timer issue) and allows the laptop to power down when halted.

Every other subsystem seems to work like a charm.
    My remaining issues are:
    -Better performance/battery consumption
    -Functional webcam driver
    -Working IR remote
    -Display rotation (presumably under F/OSS driver) coupled with tablet input rotation

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by chdist_gentoo View Post
    Thank you all very kindly for your support with this laptop, I've been able to establish a usable system because of your help.

I recently realized that "nolapic" was disabling my second core; so, I looked in to the apic sources for additional parameters that wouldn't strictly disable LAPIC and I found the aforementioned parameter.

This seems to remove the kernel panic I was experiencing with full LAPCI enabled (timer issue) and allows the laptop to power down when halted.

My remaining issues are:
    -Working IR remote
    -Display rotation (presumably under F/OSS driver) coupled with tablet input rotation
    The webcam should be working. Try installing cheese to test it out (if you haven't already)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chdist_gentoo View Post

My remaining issues are:
    -Working IR remote
    Try scanning through the tx2000 threads for the rotation instructions. They had it down to a couple scripts, I think.

Page 9 of 64 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast