Thread: Best PHP Development Tool

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Best PHP Development Tool

Hi,

Basically, I am looking for the best PHP development tool for Ubuntu.

What I am looking for is a IDE that I can edit a script in, and then just run it. I am also looking for something that will allow me to use mySQL with PHP as well.

So basically, a IDE that integrates with a localhost for PHP development.

Thanks, Josh.
    Hundreds of online flash games: OzGaming.

Beans

Re: Best PHP Development Tool

I don't know of a "best", but you could try Zend Studio. I prefer HTML editors like Quanta, BlueFish and Aptana.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Some people would suggest using Eclipse PDT, but personally i don't like eclipse

Personally I like using netbeans for c++ and now they released a php/javascript/css-plugin, which is very good

Or just use gedit, there you lern php at it's best (: syntax highlighting, tabbing and stuff is included

You can also make your mind up for yourself by trying out these : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...vironments#PHP
    Last edited by henchman; June 26th, 2008 at 09:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hi,

I am PHP developper and work in Ubuntu.
    I personally love to work with Zend Studio as it is a tool that was especially designed for PHP. (Eclipse as well by the way but I have not tested their latest version).

Next to that, I believe you can try it for free during 30 days after registering on their website... so just give it a shot !

Be aware though there is a little issue after the installation and you might want to check out the following link:
    http://www.zend.com/forums/index.php...e3d79040f3f48d

hope it helps,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

zend seems to be really nice, but if you dont't need it professionaly, nearly 500 bucks is a bit much

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I have decided with just going with setting up a local server on my computer. I figured it would be the best, and most customizable way. What I wanted was to save the hassle of uploading it to a webserver and testing it.

Zend looks great, but as henchman said, 500 bucks is a bit too much, as I don't need it professionally (just a student).

- Josh
    Hundreds of online flash games: OzGaming.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi

I'm a professional PHP developer as my job and this is what I use.

I recommend gPHPEdit as the best editor I've used, (i've used eclipse and it didn't impress me), its just straightforward and has code complete as well as code debugger.

Also, install a LAMP server to help with running them and testing database driven things.

I have a windows xp virtual box machine running too to test with ie6 as I dont get good behaviour of ie4linux on my machine. to access my apache server on the same machine I set the hosts file in C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts to point to the IP of my ubuntu machine so that I can just type http://webserver/ and I get the same site via the local LAN.

And finally, install the firebug and web developer plugins for firefox and together they make a kick *** set of dev tools that will work really well.

Well thats what works for me, hope that helps.

Mike