Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Embedded Quicktime in Firefox Problems

Beans

Embedded Quicktime in Firefox Problems

I have no problems with standard embedded media files but some new quicktime sites seem troublesome!

Could anyone tell me how to play the following site (no.1) in Firefox?

This one won't play
    1. http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney...er2_large.html

This one will play (gnome-mplayer + FF mediaplayerconnectivity plugin)
    2. http://www.apple.com/trailers/weinst...shots/trailer/

Neither gecko-mediaplayer or totem or mplayer firefox plugins on their own seem to be able to cope with No.1 above.

Any ideas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Embedded Quicktime in Firefox Problems

Complete part 1 and 2 of my howto, then follow the instructions found in the troubleshooting section.
    Last edited by ubuntu-freak; August 23rd, 2008 at 05:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

That worked for me

Why is it that quicktime is so ummmm... quirky, I've always had trouble with it working consistently even in windows.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Riffer View Post
    That worked for me

Why is it that quicktime is so ummmm... quirky, I've always had trouble with it working consistently even in windows.

I'm not sure, you wouldn't think Apple would want to be so inconsistant and overcomplicate things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This looked like fun until I found out all of the packages it was going to upgrade or install:
    The following extra packages will be installed (kubuntu 8.04):
    cups-common cupsys-common findutils gtk2-engines-pixbuf hplip-data libc6 libc6-dev libc6-i686 libcairo2 libcups2 libcupsys2 libgcrypt11 libgcrypt11-dev libglib2.0-0
    libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnutls26 libgtk2.0-0 libgtkhtml2-0 libpango1.0-0 libpango1.0-common libpopt0 libselinux1 libtalloc1 libwbclient0 libxcb-render-util0 libxcb-render0
    lsb-base python-cupshelpers python-usb samba-common smbclient winbind
    Suggested packages:
    glibc-doc manpages-dev rng-tools libgcrypt11-doc gnutls-bin ttf-thryomanes ttf-baekmuk ttf-arphic-gbsn00lp ttf-arphic-bsmi00lp ttf-arphic-gkai00mp ttf-arphic-bkai00mp smbfs
    Recommended packages:
    libglib2.0-data libgtk2.0-bin
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    cupsys-driver-gutenprint foomatic-db-hpijs hpijs hpijs-ppds hplip hplip-gui kubuntu-desktop libcupsys2-dev libgail-common libgail18 samba splix
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    cups-common gecko-mediaplayer gnome-mplayer libcups2 libgnutls26 libtalloc1 libwbclient0 libxcb-render-util0 libxcb-render0 python-cupshelpers python-usb
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    cupsys-common findutils gtk2-engines-pixbuf hplip-data libc6 libc6-dev libc6-i686 libcairo2 libcupsys2 libgcrypt11 libgcrypt11-dev libglib2.0-0 libgnomecanvas2-0 libgtk2.0-0
    libgtkhtml2-0 libpango1.0-0 libpango1.0-common libpopt0 libselinux1 lsb-base samba-common smbclient winbind
    23 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 12 to remove and 1038 not upgraded.
    Need to get 39.6MB of archives.
    After this operation, 7426kB disk space will be freed.

Beans

Both clips work fine in Ubuntu's default media player plug-in. Make sure all the necessary GStreamer plug-ins are installed. Here's how to do it:

Open the page in Firefox as usual. If the media player plug-in lacks video and/or sound, right click it and select "Open in Movie Player". This will open the stream in a separate window. At this point you will automatically be asked to install additional plug-ins, if required. After installing the plug-ins, close the media player window and reload the page in Firefox. The stream should now play fine.

Edit: Most of the required plug-ins are in the "multiverse" repository. Make sure it is enabled, otherwise the plug-ins may not be found.
    Last edited by eye208; August 10th, 2008 at 09:59 AM.

Beans

Wink Re: Embedded Quicktime in Firefox Problems

ubuntu-freak : Great help, thanks -- works 4 me!!

Beans

Ok, so I tried ubuntu-freak's quicktime fix... and it seems to have sort of worked, with flickering video, so I don't know what's up with that. The real problem though, is that it seems to have removed gnucash, which was kind of important, as well as all the games that came with the system and I don't know what else.
    I don't know what's up with this. I followed the directions carefully. The only thing I can think of is the "Don't let update manager upgrade", which I didn't think was happening.
    So some thoughts on this would be nice. I'll reinstall gnucash, hopefully it'll be fine.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by stwert View Post
    Ok, so I tried ubuntu-freak's quicktime fix... and it seems to have sort of worked, with flickering video, so I don't know what's up with that. The real problem though, is that it seems to have removed gnucash, which was kind of important, as well as all the games that came with the system and I don't know what else.
    I don't know what's up with this. I followed the directions carefully. The only thing I can think of is the "Don't let update manager upgrade", which I didn't think was happening.
    So some thoughts on this would be nice. I'll reinstall gnucash, hopefully it'll be fine.

Sorry, thought I deleted that method from all the relevent posts. As time went on, and Intrepid evolved, that method started to cause problems.

I recommend a different method now, which can be found in the troubleshooting section of my howto.

Beans

Alright, I'll give that a shot in the future. First though, it says that I'm unable to install gnucash. When I try to install it, I get:
    Code:
    >sudo apt-get install gnucash

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
    the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
    that package should be filed.
    The following information may help resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      gnucash: Depends: gnucash-common (>= 2.2.4-1ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libgtkhtml3.8-15 (>= 1:3.13.5) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Broken packages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast