Thread: Ubuntu killed the wifi driver?

Beans

Ubuntu killed the wifi driver?

Okay, so, everything was working just fine on my ubuntu (hardy) macbook (santa rosa) installation. Then, going about my usual business, i booted up, and it didn't show any wifi networks. "No problem," i thought to myself, and checked the router and the cable modem. Then, when everything was fine with those, I attempted to plug in directly via ethernet and use these directions, which i had used to originally get the wifi drivers up and running. Still no dice.

So, I beseech you, fair and noble Ubuntu forum members, to attempt to solve my problem.
    Last edited by dellegazze; June 23rd, 2008 at 04:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Ubuntu killed the wifi driver?

Hi Dellegazze, I also use Ubuntu on a Macbook pro and I have found the wifi to be 'sketchy' at times myself. Firstly, the drivers need to be re-compiled after each kernel upgrade (understandable), but sometimes for no reason when I boot I find the driver appears to not work.
    What I do is go to SYSTEM > ADMINISTRATION > HARDWARE DRIVERS and then disable and then re-enable the driver. After reboot it appears fine. Not a fix I know, but some help I hope!

Beans

Still no luck. :\

I opened the Hardware Drivers screen, and nothing was there. When I saw this, I tried to reinstall the driver, restarted, and checked again, and still nothing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dellegazze View Post
    Still no luck. :\

I opened the Hardware Drivers screen, and nothing was there. When I saw this, I tried to reinstall the driver, restarted, and checked again, and still nothing.
    unfortunately that would not work if you had to compile the drivers. You will need to recompile. Follow the directions in the wiki again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    unfortunately that would not work if you had to compile the drivers. You will need to recompile. Follow the directions in the wiki again.
    That's what I just did. Hence "When I saw this, I tried to reinstall the driver, restarted, and checked again, and still nothing".

Any other advice?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dellegazze View Post
    That's what I just did. Hence "When I saw this, I tried to reinstall the driver, restarted, and checked again, and still nothing".

Any other advice?
    "still nothing" doesn't help diagnose the issue. Give more information. How do you know if the module is loaded? If loaded, does the system see the device? What does "it doesn't work" what do you do to see it doesn't work.
    Last edited by cyberdork33; June 25th, 2008 at 12:43 AM.

Beans

well, the network manager applet isn't recognizing any wireless networks, System > Administration > Hardware drivers isn't recognizing any drivers, and following the macbook guide on the wiki isn't doing anything.

Beans

This has worked for me on my macbook 2,1 duo core, it is santa rosa
    Try doing this, you'll get an internet connection, so grab the ethernet for a couple minutes. I've upload a revision of madwifi that I use constantly.
    I've installed it multiple times on amd64 and the 32 bit hardy. give it a try, it should work.
    I've uploaded the madwifi drivers here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/12499243...nt.tar.gz.html
    Download that, and then untar it onto your desktop.

Code:
    cd ~/Desktop
    sudo modprobe -r ath_pci
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    cd madwifi[tab]
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    This is going to get the essential stuff to build madwifi, so you shouldn't get any errors.
    If you don't get any errors from make and make install, then follow up and do this:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe ath_pci
    Click on your gnome desktop network thing, and you should see ''wireless''
    Give it a minute and it'll load up the networks visible.

Oh and if it cuts out, or something, just try reloading ath_pci, that seems to always fix problems for me.
    Last edited by dustynus; June 25th, 2008 at 07:32 PM.

Beans

Sorry for the long time between replies - I completely lost this thread and had to sift through the Apple Users Forum. I bet there's a better way to find my threads but I couldn't find it...

Okay, so I tried plugging in to the ethernet. The network applet recognizes that there's a conncection, but the connection to the internet isn't being recognized. I opened firefox, pidgin, etc., and they all said no connection.
    Last edited by dellegazze; June 28th, 2008 at 03:02 AM.