Thread: Wine Steam Error please help

Beans

Unhappy Wine Steam Error please help

I've been trying to figure this out for over 5 hours now. I will give you a run through of all my problems.

First it wouldn't install past 26% i read up as it being a known error and to just keep trying, it finally worked.

Then I couldn't get on the login menu. Trying to command line run it I would get a bunch of errors. Running it by clicking the steam Icon I would get "Module cannot load Bin/Vgui2.dll" yes the dll file was there.

After bringing in files from my windows version of steam I got it to the login menu. I tried logging in. After it says "connecting to account name" I get this error:

Code:
    ccerr:ole:CoGetClassObject class {4955dd33-b159-11d0-8fcf-00aa006bcc59} not registered
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {4955dd33-b159-11d0-8fcf-00aa006bcc59} could be created for context 0x1
    fixme:dbghelp:EnumerateLoadedModules If this happens, bump the number in mod
    When I try clicking on the icon I get the same VGUI2.dll error. I don't know what to do anymore

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Re: Wine Steam Error please help

Download Cedega's mozcontrol and extract it into C:\Program Files\mozcontrol of your wine. (eg. /home/*username*/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/mozcontrol)
    In Terminal, type:
    Code:
    cd /home/*username*/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/mozcontrol
    regsvr32 mozctlx.dll
    Then make a script: (steam.sh for example)

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    cd /home/*username*/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam
    WINEDEBUG="-all" wine Steam
    Replace all paths with your own

Make it executable and launch it to start Steam. Have fun!

Beans

OMG YES THANK YOU! IT WORKED! but now when I click launch game nothing happens

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Replace WINEDEBUG="-all" wine Steam
    with WINEDEBUG="-all" wine Steam -applaunch 10

And see if it works. The number is the game to launch, you should be able to google up the corresponding number for your game. 10 is CS1.6

Beans

ok I got CSS to launch it looks like theres a few video issues but still looks better than cs1.6.

The only problem is I can't connect to any of the servers. The server lists pop up but I can connect. I try to manually connect to them and it just times out

Beans

Ok I got it working! Heres a screenshot:

Is there a way to fix the ultra bright textures? Is that a gfx driver problem or emulation? I have a 7800GTX I get around 200fps on windows.

Beans

So, would you guys mind telling how I get wine and steam on my laptop and working....I am running Dapper Drake.

Thanks for any help you can provide

~BT

Beans

sudo apt-get install wine

then follow the instructions here for cs:s