Thread: DVD Rip

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

DVD Rip

I'm new to Ubuntu, but not to Windows. I've made the switch 100% and am loving HH 8.04!

I like to rip my DVDs and strip out all the menu crap and make it into an AVI to store on my hard drive. This way I can watch my movies whenever I want and keep my original DVDs locked in a safe place. In Windows I used AnyDVD to disable any copy protection, DVD Shrink to rip it to the hard drive, and Auto Gordian Knot (Xvid compression) to make it into an AVI file. Works great, but now that I'm 100% on Linux I need the same capabilities.

1) Would I need a program like AnyDVD to disable the copy protection before ripping?

2) Which Linux program will work similar to DVD Shrink so I can copy the files to my hard drive without the extras and menus?

3) Which Linux program will best allow me to take those VOB files and make it into an AVI file like Gordian Knot?

Thanks for your help!

Beans

Re: DVD Rip

take a look at

dvdrip

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Take a look at k9copy, it's roughly equivalent to dvd shrink. I know the program devede can make avi files (as do many others). I think, k9copy ouputs vob files - not 100% sure; someone else will know for certain.
    Windows is the best virus detector on the market!
    Ubuntu attracts Human Beings - Windows attracts viruses and worms

Beans

You're right bumanie,

K9copy allows you to copy and shrink your DVD to your hard drive. It's stored as both an AUDIO_TS AND VIDEO_TS combination (vob files) and as an .iso image.

But, k9copy also allows you to encode it to an .avi. Though I think that, like billgoldberg suggested, dvdrip is better suited for that (more configurable).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

What programs can you use to burn VOB files? I'm used to using dvdshrink and Nero.