Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Video Editing: Kino VS Kdenlive

Beans

Re: Video Editing: Kino VS Kdenlive

Another update, for anyone who stumbles across this old thread....

I am appalled at how long it took me to find this, but the GUI theme can be changed! Really really easily. I'm adding this because one of my negative comments was to do with its ugliness.

Settings > Preferences > Editing > Theme: Blond-cv | Blue Dot | S.U.V.

On first impressions, I think I might prefer Blue Dot to the default S.U.V. (it was default on mine anyway). Some of the indicators seem clearer to me - though to my mind the "armed"/"not armed" indicators are not very clear on any of the themes. The cleaner font makes reading timeline figures easier too.

I suspect that one of these two other themes might look better than S.U.V. on smaller screens, as that was a real issue when I tried using cinelerra on 1024x768.

Having said all this, I'd kind of got used to the other one ... I've grown accustomed to its face

Share and Enjoy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by fizzybrain View Post
    Another update, for anyone who stumbles across this old thread....

I am appalled at how long it took me to find this, but the GUI theme can be changed! Really really easily. I'm adding this because one of my negative comments was to do with its ugliness.

Settings > Preferences > Editing > Theme: Blond-cv | Blue Dot | S.U.V.

On first impressions, I think I might prefer Blue Dot to the default S.U.V. (it was default on mine anyway). Some of the indicators seem clearer to me - though to my mind the "armed"/"not armed" indicators are not very clear on any of the themes. The cleaner font makes reading timeline figures easier too.

I suspect that one of these two other themes might look better than S.U.V. on smaller screens, as that was a real issue when I tried using cinelerra on 1024x768.

Having said all this, I'd kind of got used to the other one ... I've grown accustomed to its face

Share and Enjoy
    Well, I am new to Linux myself, but I have been told that it is extremely flexible and you can change just about anything you want. I found stuff in Open Office that I only dreamed of having in MS office. So I would assume that just about any of the larger programs for Linux could be totally customized within the program itself. And of course most distribution allow you to change a great many things.

For one...I loved the look of the reverse type and dark background that originally came with my Ubuntu Studio distribution. Ardour looked WAY cool like that. But I found out that after a while, it hurt my eyes. So a simple look in the preferences folder revealed a setting to change the desktop themes (just like in Windows). So I went back to the standard 'human' theme (the orange/white that comes with vanilla Ubuntu).

Lots to play with here in Linux. I, myself have only scratched the tip of the iceberg.

Geo
    Exit Light, Enter Night, Take My Hand, We're Off To Never Never Land.
    As the Fios Flea says, "W-O-W"!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jukingeo View Post
    Well, I am new to Linux myself, but I have been told that it is extremely flexible and you can change just about anything you want.
    Cinelerra is often criticised because it does things its own way - i.e. *not* the standard you-can-customise-everything Linux way (well, you could edit the source code, of course...). That's part of the problem. I think these themes must be specifically written for cinelerra (and by someone with more expertise than me). As I said though, with a screen larger than 1024x768 the chunkiness of the GUI is not such a problem (I've got 2720x1024, thanks to xrandr, and it makes a big difference).
    For one...I loved the look of the reverse type and dark background that originally came with my Ubuntu Studio distribution.[...]
    Are these other themes for Cinelerra or for the desktop itself? Do you have Cinelerra themes other than S.U.V., Blue dot and Blond CV? If so, please could you list them for me so I can find them and try them out?
    I, myself have only scratched the tip of the iceberg. Geo
    I believe that that is almost exactly what the helmsman of the Titanic said to his captain....

Share and Enjoy

Beans
    Distro

Cinelerra is often criticised because it does things its own way - i.e. *not* the standard you-can-customise-everything Linux way (well, you could edit the source code, of course...). That's part of the problem. I think these themes must be specifically written for cinelerra (and by someone with more expertise than me). As I said though, with a screen larger than 1024x768 the chunkiness of the GUI is not such a problem (I've got 2720x1024, thanks to xrandr, and it makes a big difference).
    Well, I have not fully played with it yet, so it is too early to judge, but first impressions look pretty good to me.,

Are these other themes for Cinelerra or for the desktop itself? Do you have Cinelerra themes other than S.U.V., Blue dot and Blond CV? If so, please could you list them for me so I can find them and try them out?
    No I was referring to the default Ubuntu Studio Theme.

I believe that that is almost exactly what the helmsman of the Titanic said to his captain....
    Hmmmm, more like:

"An Iceberg, Sir. I ordered her full astarboard and both engines full astern. I tried to port 'round her, but it was too close and we hit".

Yeah, you are talking to a Titanic fanatic. I have about 20 books on the ship and several dozen webpage links on my computer. Not to mention 3 computer games and a reference CD made from various clips from the James Cameron movie. Needless to say I know quite a bit about the ship and seen just about all of the movies. I am one that still prefers 1958's "A Night To Remember" over the James Cameron movie. But Cameron's film is a VERY close 2nd.

Geo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It used to be that Kdenlive didn't work for me at all. Today, I downloaded it again and gave it another chance. The GUI seems to have been improved a bit since I last saw it. I found it not too hard at all to edit my video. I was quite happy with it. Then I wanted to save my video. There is no option to do so. Seriously. I have no idea what is up with that.
    If people were nicer, I'd answer more queries here!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Aha. I've found the problem. It's a non-standard use of a drop-down list.
    If people were nicer, I'd answer more queries here!

Beans
    Distro

Since I made this post I figured I would just bury the hatchet and go with something that can do everything, which is Cinelerra. It isn't the easiest thing to work with, but it does do a lot. It does have a long learning curve though.

I remember Kdenlive had quite a few problems in the past, so it does sound like they made some improvements.

Geo

Beans

Hey Jukingeo, long time no see! I too have been wrestling with cinelerra - I'm just finishing a big project now and I'd say I'm pretty fluid with most of the basic features. It's worth getting the latest version - so that you can use numeric shortcut keys and in/out points at the same time (!). It can still be a right pain though (and forcing the use of separate video/audio tracks can make slow-mo and fast-mo unneccessarily difficult, if not impossible) - I'm really looking forward to Lumiera .
    I used Kdenlive (0.5,0.6) a bit, but the panning/zooming functions of cinelerra clinched it for me. However, I have only really glimpsed kdenlive 0.7, which looks exciting (though its new KDE4 incarnation is still maturing, I think) and could be a very good editor for most people. I think that if I were starting again now from scratch, I'd probably choose Kdenlive - assuming that it is, at the very least, a stable equivalent of 0.6.

Beans
    Distro

Hey Jukingeo, long time no see! I too have been wrestling with cinelerra - I'm just finishing a big project now and I'd say I'm pretty fluid with most of the basic features. It's worth getting the latest version - so that you can use numeric shortcut keys and in/out points at the same time (!). It can still be a right pain though (and forcing the use of separate video/audio tracks can make slow-mo and fast-mo unneccessarily difficult, if not impossible) - I'm really looking forward to Lumiera .
    I used Kdenlive (0.5,0.6) a bit, but the panning/zooming functions of cinelerra clinched it for me. However, I have only really glimpsed kdenlive 0.7, which looks exciting (though its new KDE4 incarnation is still maturing, I think) and could be a very good editor for most people. I think that if I were starting again now from scratch, I'd probably choose Kdenlive - assuming that it is, at the very least, a stable equivalent of 0.6.
    Hello FB,

Yeah, I been away for a while. I was in the midst of a long procedure in selling my home and then finally moving. In addition, I heard quite a few bad things about Intrepid, so I stayed away for a bit (there wasn't an Intrepid version made for Ubuntu Studio anyway). I decided to come back to the forums to see what is happening as I saw that Ubuntu Studio had a version 9.04.

The last time I left off with Ubuntu Studio, there were a few minor problems with Jack that I hoped would be ironed out. The biggest thing I was hoping for was better USB and Firewire support. USB still seems to have issues, but I remember they were working on replacing FreeBob with FFADO.

In the interim I stopped working with any video programs until I had my audio running totally the way I wanted it. But of all the video programs, Cinelerra seemed to be the only program that did run well. So I am glad to hear there is a new version available that somewhat makes things easier. So thanx for the heads up. I will check that out.

I think what would be cool is if there was an editing system with the power of Cinelerra, but with the ease of use of Windows Movie Maker.

Is Lumiera a new program? I don't think I heard of that one before. I have not revisited Kdenlive for the most part because it supposed to be a program that runs well on a KDE system. I still have Gnome and plan to keep that for a while. I tried to use the KDE version of OpenSUSE before and it is nice, but kind of 'hoggy'. It just took too long to get used to. I couldn't get many things to work together with OpenSUSE (sadly), so once again I am back to Ubuntu. I think I am going to stay here. The support for Ubuntu is still the best.

Anyway, I am open to trying another video program out because I am accumulating video footage of my kids at an alarming rate and I have to edit this stuff into a usable movie.

Have a Happy 4th!

Geo

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hello,
    I have been using kdenlive quite a bit for the last few months. It is really maturing into a nice video editor.

Development is speedy and there have been a lot of bug fixes and features since the jaunty release. I'd strongly recommend using the latest version either as packages or building yourself. Note that you will also need mlt updates also. Check out these links:

http://www.kdenlive.org/discover/0.7.5
    http://www.kdenlive.org/forum/kdenli...ntu-jaunty-ppa

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast