Page 59 of 366 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile Re: Things that you hate in Ubuntu

Dislikes:
    • The default way it looks
    • The fact it isn't compatible with my Ati Graphics Card (I think?)
    • I just think it looks ugly compared to Windows or OS X
    • The way the fonts look - they always look different to Windows & Mac Fonts

• The security
    • The warm fuzzy feeling I get from using it
    • The cost
    AMD Turion x2 dual core ~2.1GHz | 3GB RAM | 250GB HDD | ATI Radeon Graphics (256MB dedicated) | Windows 7 RC

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Things that u hate in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jespdj View Post
    I don't understand. There's Ubuntu and Kubuntu, so GNOME and KDE are both available. You can also install them both on your machine. For example, if you start with Ubuntu, install the package kubuntu-desktop and you'll be able to choose GNOME or KDE from the login screen.
    The issue is that when you purchase or otherwise obtain an installation DVD, you don't get the option to install both front ends like you do with SuSE and most other distros. Most of us have download limits. When you obtain a Ubuntu installation CD/DVD and install it, you have to manually select the KDE stuff after installation is complete, then download over 600Meg. A lot of ISPs limit users to 300MEG per day.

A combined DVD needs to be made for each release. I have asked On-Disk to look into making one of these. They also see the need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Things that you hate in Ubuntu

No proper development resources for developers looking to integrate ubuntu-specific changes into their apps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sharks View Post
    What are the things that u hate in Ubuntu?
    In order of annoyance:

1) No combined DVD available. KDE and icky-nasty-Gnome need to be on the same installation DVD so they can both be installed at the same time. This split package thing causes a lot of problems.

2) Evolution seems to have Microsoft quality developers working on it. Every automatic update seems to break something else on it.

3) t1-cyrillic package not installed by default. I don't know who thought that up since most people need the fonts.

4) CUPs team seems to be tossing the dice a lot. In the past month I have received automatic updates which broke nearly all of my printing. KWord was the only thing working correctly, so naturally there was a broken automatic update which removed KWord from my system. Thanks guys. I can type all I want in OpenOffice, I just can't print to a decent printer.

5) Automatic Updates and Synaptic installations don't have a built in download manager. A lot of ISPs have a 300Meg/day DL limit. Those "features" need to have settings where a user can configure them to only pull down 150Meg per day and they continue the installation once they have everything.

6) 64-bit version seems to get a very short end of the stick when it comes to development and bug fixes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pbpersson View Post
    Exactly....Ubuntu has become SO good and it is light years beyond any other Linux distribution, so why can't it be perfect already? What is taking so long??

It's a long way from light years ahead. SuSE ships both KDE and icky-nasty-Gnome in the same media. KDE support on SuSE is about 2 full years in front of Ubuntu.

That said, Novell has that contract with MS which will most likely put it out of business like the DRDOS agreement did back in the day.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by yyyc186 View Post
    It's a long way from light years ahead. SuSE ships both KDE and icky-nasty-Gnome in the same media. KDE support on SuSE is about 2 full years in front of Ubuntu.

That said, Novell has that contract with MS which will most likely put it out of business like the DRDOS agreement did back in the day.
    KDE is good on SuSE. The shame is that nothing else is any good with SuSE. YaST is terribly borked still, after all this time, which in turn kind of ruins the rest of the OS.

IMO, anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I can agree with that; openSUSE's KDE4 implementation was done very well. Not sure who I like better, theirs or Chakra (Arch KDEMod). Ubuntu's version, not so much. I'm not a KDE fan anyway, but Kubuntu always felt a little rough and not quite finished. Just my opinion; I know some people love it to death, and that's a good thing.

Gotta agree with YaST too. On paper, it's excellent. A centralized management system that does it all is a good thing. In reality, the thing irks the hell out of me and keeps openSUSE off my desktop full time. Again, just my opinion, tons of people use it, and I have no problems recommending it to people as it's a quality distro for sure. At least for KDE; Gnome not so much. As far as I'm concerned, the Gnome team may as well rename the project Gnobuntu, as I've yet to find a distro that does Gnome better.

I can agree about Evolution too.. it's just a littly quirky yet. Has a lot of potential for sure, but personally I install Thunderbird right off. Then again, I don't need the calendar and stuff anyway.

One other thing I dislike about Ubuntu is the release schedule. It's just too rigid. I still prefer a rolling release anyway, but I can live with a six month cycle. But more often than not the releases go public with a bunch of bugs in them.. The CD eject bug with 8.10 for example, no idea how that could have been missed. I'd much rather see a "It's ready when it's ready" attitude.. not as far as Debian takes it though

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbysmith View Post
    I can agree with that; openSUSE's KDE4 implementation was done very well. Not sure who I like better, theirs or Chakra (Arch KDEMod). Ubuntu's version, not so much. I'm not a KDE fan anyway, but Kubuntu always felt a little rough and not quite finished. Just my opinion; I know some people love it to death, and that's a good thing.

Gotta agree with YaST too. On paper, it's excellent. A centralized management system that does it all is a good thing. In reality, the thing irks the hell out of me and keeps openSUSE off my desktop full time. Again, just my opinion, tons of people use it, and I have no problems recommending it to people as it's a quality distro for sure. At least for KDE; Gnome not so much. As far as I'm concerned, the Gnome team may as well rename the project Gnobuntu, as I've yet to find a distro that does Gnome better.

I can agree about Evolution too.. it's just a littly quirky yet. Has a lot of potential for sure, but personally I install Thunderbird right off. Then again, I don't need the calendar and stuff anyway.

One other thing I dislike about Ubuntu is the release schedule. It's just too rigid. I still prefer a rolling release anyway, but I can live with a six month cycle. But more often than not the releases go public with a bunch of bugs in them.. The CD eject bug with 8.10 for example, no idea how that could have been missed. I'd much rather see a "It's ready when it's ready" attitude.. not as far as Debian takes it though
    SuSE isn't currently on any of my machines. While YAST is a PITA, what bothered me with SuSE was the RPM hell. When you have an RPM fail its installation for whatever reason it is almost impossible to get it uninstalled or to get past that install.

I really gave Gnome a try. I used it for nearly a year with Ubuntu. Even now it seems more fit for a time when programmers lived in caves, fouling their own nest and eating their young rather than civilized society. Up until recently, even something as simple as adding a font was "go to the command line, hack this obscure file, then hack that one over there, then invoke a magic incantation" where KDE had an automated process.

Unlike most people here, I cannot simply wipe my machine and install something else. I have spent too much time configuring things the way I need them.

I really hate the current deal(s) with Amazon. Anyone doing business with Amazon will eventually find themselves living on the street and begging for food. They put just about everyone out of business who chooses to do business with them. I fear the same fate will befall the makers of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Heh yes, I feel your pain with RPM's. The only RPM based distro I ever had any fondness for was PCLinuxOS, just never had problems with that one. (Might have something to do with Apt and Synaptic installed by default? Better management/testing of their repositories? Dunno.. just works.)

Ahh I understand what you mean now, KControl and such is pretty nice. Gnome's getting better in that department, but still pretty far behind. Fonts were a good example, when I was first starting out it took me a while to find the fc-cache command. Even Windows 95 has a centralized font control panel applet..

I may just have to snag a Kubuntu daily build, see how their version of 9.04 is progressing..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Things that u hate in Ubuntu

oh,the displayconfig thing,been using ubuntu for days and still i can't install my nvidia drivers properly,i guess i'll find a solution pretty soon though,just like every other problem i've had with ubuntu.

Page 59 of 366 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast