Thread: Pentium D/64-bit and Gaming

Beans

Wink Pentium D/64-bit and Gaming

A couple of questions here, first is there an optimized kernel for EMT64, as opposed to AMD64? If not, will I be OK installing the version of Ubuntu that's built for AMD64 on my EMT64 CPU? Also, if I install the 64-Bit version of Ubuntu, will I be able to run my Windows games that are 32-Bit? I'm trying to rid myself of Windows, please help me!

Thanks in Advance...

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Re: Pentium D/64-bit and Gaming

There is no optimized EMT64 kernel that I know of..I have an A64 and run 32bit 686 kernel.
    If I ever had a EMT64 I would install 32bit ubuntu, everything will work and won't have any troubles with things not working b/c 64bit...Never ran cedega/wine in 64bit might work.. I would still run 32bit just so everythings known to work. still too many 32bit systems out there anyway..
    Last edited by jecos; October 19th, 2005 at 11:58 PM.

Beans

It'll run the amd64 version but I'd recommend that you stick with 32-bit unless you have a specific reason to run 64-bit. There are just too many things that don't work yet (mostly multimedia and games).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mlomker
    It'll run the amd64 version but I'd recommend that you stick with 32-bit unless you have a specific reason to run 64-bit. There are just too many things that don't work yet (mostly multimedia and games).
    That, and Intel's "64 bit" is trash. Best to stick to 32.

Beans

Hey, thanks for the help guys. I'm planning on installing the 32-bit version of Ubuntu... What programs do I need to install in order to run my Windows games? I've heard about cedega, wine, and point2click... Maybe someone has already posted this info, if so could you please point me in the right direction? Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Cedega and Point2Play are commercial products that you can find at http://www.transgaming.com
    Wine is available for free, just 'sudo apt-get install wine' from a terminal.

The main difference between them is, Point2Play is a GUI wrapper for Cedega. Cedega is a DirectX enhanced version of Wine. So anything that is OpenGL will probably work just as well under Wine as it would under Cedega.

Wine is working on their own DirectX stuff as well, but I don't know if it is in the main branch yet. I know there was a patch to it a while back that I saw.

Good luck.

Leech
    Wah! Wah! Life was more entertaining when I had 64KB of RAM in my computer.
    Neverwinter Nights Platinum HowTo