Thread: gnash, ffmpeg, and gstreamer for FLV

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

gnash, ffmpeg, and gstreamer for FLV

I've gotten gnash installed by
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mozilla-plugin-gnash
    which has worked for most flash files except for youtube videos. I heard that you need to install gstreamer and ffmpeg for those to work. Does anyone know how to install gstreamer and ffmpeg so that they can work with gnash?

Beans

Re: gnash, ffmpeg, and gstreamer for FLV

sry i dont actually know what gstreamer and ffmpeg are but i do know that flashplugin-nonfree works great for me with youtube and all other flash sites

if you wanted to install it this is what you do

first remove gnash
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge mozilla-plugin-gnash
    then install flashplayer-nonfree
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
    by the way nonfree means its not opensource, it doesn't mean you have to pay
    Last edited by tjwoosta; May 7th, 2008 at 06:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by tjwoosta View Post
    by the way nonfree means its not opensource, it doesn't mean you have to pay
    I want to support the gnash project by using their plugin. I have used the non open source one before though. So I don't completely object to using it.

Beans

ahh.. i see

well actually i was just trying to figure out how to help you so i uninstalled flashplugin-nonfree and installed gnash (i checked and i already had gstreamer installed so i installed ffmpeg)

i went to youtube and it does work but then i tried stumble-upon and i stumbled a couple of videos and it didnt like that very much, only the first two that i tried actually played

but like i said, for some reason i already had gstreamer and then i just installed ffmpeg in synaptic (medibuntu repository)