Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I think the forum community stands in the way of Ubuntu's improvement

Beans

I think the forum community stands in the way of Ubuntu's improvement

Before you read:
    I know you can change the theme, font, icons, entire look, but non suffice.
    I will try to help with this, as I am working on my skills. I want the best for us!

So I have been asking people on the forums what they think about an improved interface, and have been swamped by a ton of underage kids and old people who only think about what they want, and not what humans ( the general non-forum community) wants. What happened to Linux for Humans? it seems to me the forums are moving to "Linux for Linux users."

It seems to me that the people that come here regularly don't have the opinion that Ubuntu needs to progress. I keep on hearing cries for stability, when Ubuntu is 1000x more stable than Windows or Mac. People seem to want things, and the devs give them to them, that only a small percentage of Ubuntu users even know about. most Ubuntu users dont come to these forums, especially if the huge 10-20 million numbers are anywhere near correct. The only opinions expressed here are of computer tech/geek type people who dont care about looks, intuitiveness, or organization. They mod it out how they want it to, and dont care anymore. They then voice their opinion, an we get nowhere.

I make this prediction. Intrepid Ibex will not have any huge advancements we have been waiting for ( we as in the general Ubuntu/Computer user populace). We might get better internet support, but I doubt we will get the step needed to put Ubuntu into the stratosphere.

Here is an experience I will share with you illustrating my point.

I was with a friend of mine the other day, and she is a HUGE Mac fan. She was showing me photobooth, and all of the cool effects it can do. I said " Hey, my computer has the same thing," so I showed her Cheese. She immediately said " That is not as good though." I showed her all of the coll things it could do, and it could do just as much if not more. I asked her why she thought I wasn't as good, and know what she said?

"It looks like a toy."

That is just it. we need to progress, but this goes beyond my recent crusade for a better look.

The community is more than just these forums. Isn't our aim to create a Linux for Humans? Yes the current interface is fine, come one now- I use it. Of course I like it. We need to push for an interface that makes it look as good as it is- we all know that

Ubuntu is stable
    Ubuntu is professional
    Ubuntu is easy

But it doesn't look that way. We innovate right? How about for once we not only make a better interface, but do more to go beyond the big wigs at Redmond and Apple.

Edit: I know that there are "plans," but there were "plans" for Hardy. None of the themes though all people can agree on, and by default I have a feeling that we will be stuck with something that still is bland, unorganized, and not the best ( we are striving for the best right?) by the default.

Edit: I know stability is important, but how about we focus on the look for this release, and maintain stability... its something like 70% of people want to focus on stability here, and only 10% think we should focus on the new look.
    Last edited by acelin; May 4th, 2008 at 08:21 PM. Reason: removed reference to staff member and unnecessary comment from the beginning of the post after saving a copy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: I think the forum community stands in the way of Ubuntu's improvement

Quote Originally Posted by acelin View Post
    I get swamped by a ton of underage kids and old people who only think about what they want and not what humans want. What happened to Linux for Humans?
    Funny, I tend to think of the members of these forums as human...that includes the "underage kids and old people." Their wants are important too.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

So you'll be spending hours with GIMP to improve the GUI then?
    For a free product you can't complain. In fact it's superb and getting better.
    If you'd like to see something improved then don't wait for someone else to fix it, do it yourself. It is open source after all.

Beans

I get swamped by a ton of underage kids and old people who only think about what they want and not what humans want. What happened to Linux for Humans? it seems to me the forums are moving to "Linux for Linux users."

It seems to me that the people that come here regularly don't have the opinion that Ubuntu needs to progress. I keep on hearing cries for stability, when Ubuntu is 1000x more stable than Windows or Mac. People seem to want things, and the devs give them to them, that only a small percentage of Ubuntu users even know about. most Ubuntu users dont come to these forums, especially if the huge 10-20 million numbers are anywhere near correct. The only opinions expressed here are of computer tech/geek type people who dont care about looks, intuitiveness, or organization. They mod it out how they want it to, and dont care anymore. They then voice their opinion, an we get nowhere.

I make this prediction. Intrepid Ibex will not have any huge advancements we have been waiting for ( we as in the general Ubuntu/Computer user populace). We might get better internet support, but I doubt we will get the step needed to put Ubuntu into the stratosphere.
    Complaining about looks in a distro with Compiz Fusion enabled by default (on hardware that can handle it) seems silly. Regardless, since this seems to really bother you, you might be interested to hear about the possible plans to engage DeviantArt for the Ibex theme. More at https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubu...me-competition.

Here's my question: do users who advocate stability not count as much as those who advocate eye-candy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think that you're forgetting that a visual refresh is in order for Ubuntu 8.10, which - judging from your entire first post - is all you're after...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You do know you can change the theme?
    So change it if you want.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Funny, I tend to think of the members of these forums as human...that includes the "underage kids and old people." Their wants are important too.
    They represent a much smaller portion of the non-forum Ubuntu community. Everyone I know that uses Ubuntu is between the ages of 18-25.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yes, fine. Take your time, though. We will glad to accept your major breakthrough in theming 'our' distro in 2009 if that's how long it takes. Good luck and enjoy the work.
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

They represent a much smaller portion of the non-forum Ubuntu community. Everyone I know that uses Ubuntu is between the ages of 18-25.
    And how does this relate to the real population distribution ?
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

actually I partly agree with you. Looks is very important no matter what the issue is. If ubuntu had a quality look like macos I'm pretty sure there would be much more ubuntu users today

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast