Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TwinView problem

Beans

Re: TwinView problem

Heh, I'd already done that in my own (no doubt bludgeoning) newbie manner
    I'm on to my next problem now heh, its just none stop with this Linux malarkey - At least its a challenge for my brain though, the poor thing has barely been used recently.

Saddly restarting the computer made no difference..
    Last edited by MotherMayI; April 28th, 2008 at 10:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

You can force the nvidia driver to recognise a TV if the hotplug fails. Adding the following to the device section should help:

Code:
    Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP,TV"
    That forces the driver to think that there is a DVI monitor and a TV connected.

Also, for a TV you may also need to set the following options (also in the device section).

Code:
    Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
    Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
    The TVStandard option is dependant on where you live, this page details the different possible standards.

Beans

Well, it is now detecting it.. However, it still isnt working.

The TV isnt recieving any signal, and when I try enabling it in nvidia-settings it still doesnt. What does happen however is that it seems that my dektop gets stretched over the two screens (as in, that is what it looks like from the primary screen that is still workng) and then it resets, im assuming when I dont confirm the option.
    Last edited by MotherMayI; April 28th, 2008 at 11:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Try adding the following lines to the device section, (remove any existing Option "metamodes" lines you have anywhere else).

Code:
    Option "TwinView" "1"
    Option "TwinViewOrientation" "RightOf"
    Option "MetaModes" "nvidia-auto-select,nvidia-auto-select;"
    If it still ends up being blank then try changing the second nvidia-auto-select to be something like 640x480 as the card may be trying to use a too high resolution for the TV.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MrHippocampus View Post
    Try adding the following lines to the device section, (remove any existing Option "metamodes" lines you have anywhere else).

Code:
    Option "TwinView" "1"
    Option "TwinViewOrientation" "RightOf"
    Option "MetaModes" "nvidia-auto-select,nvidia-auto-select;"
    If it still ends up being blank then try changing the second nvidia-auto-select to be something like 640x480 as the card may be trying to use a too high resolution for the TV.
    You, sir, are a god among men. I truly cannot thank you enough. I have to say, although Linux seems very hard to learn - The community more than make up for it. I have received more help this evening with my various problems than in my entire life using similar Windows forums.

Its working fine, from what I can make out.. Although it seems the screen is a little 'off'. For example, if I full screen a terminal on the TV monitor it fills it past the edges, I can't see 'File' etc. Ill have a play in nvidia-settings and see if I can sort it out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Its working fine, from what I can make out.. Although it seems the screen is a little 'off'. For example, if I full screen a terminal on the TV monitor it fills it past the edges, I can't see 'File' etc. Ill have a play in nvidia-settings and see if I can sort it out.
    Overscan is what your looking for

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MrHippocampus View Post
    Overscan is what your looking for
    lol, sorry for another question - But I can't seem to find a related option for that at all.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...ythtvnz/241735

Seems to indicate there hsould be a slider, but I can't find it for the life of me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I spent the whole of yesterday fighting this on an NVidia 8800GTS DVI-HDMI setup. Seems because it was DVI-HDMI it ended up being an ever bigger mess, and the most successful I got it to work was at 720i( as opposed to supported on both sides 1080i) with 30 or so pixels cut from each side.

I couldn't find any solution for the overscan on this. The slider isn't there for the 8800 cards. There is this (slightly dated) confirmation from NVidia that it's not supported, and a workaround for Windows: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90768
    But I wasn't able to find anything for Linux.

The one solution that seemed feasable comes from the TV, unfortunately my TV wouldn't do that for HDMI. Check if your TV supports it for S-Video, an option called 1:1 pixel mapping.
    Last edited by Alekth; April 28th, 2008 at 11:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

There is yet another option in xorg.conf you can add to do manual overscan for Tv-Out (It most likely doesn't work for HDMI though).

Code:
    Option "TVOverScan" "0.0"
    However the range can be from 0.0-1.0, and this normally only increases the size of the image rather than decreases. If you cant play around with the Tv's settings you might have to find out the resolution the graphics card is using on it and then replacing the second nvidia-auto-select with a resolution which is a notch lower.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Alekth View Post
    I spent the whole of yesterday fighting this on an NVidia 8800GTS DVI-HDMI setup. Seems because it was DVI-HDMI it ended up being an ever bigger mess, and the most successful I got it to work was at 720i( as opposed to supported on both sides 1080i) with 30 or so pixels cut from each side.

I couldn't find any solution for the overscan on this. The slider isn't there for the 8800 cards. There is this (slightly dated) confirmation from NVidia that it's not supported, and a workaround for Windows: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90768
    But I wasn't able to find anything for Linux.

The one solution that seemed feasable comes from the TV, unfortunately my TV wouldn't do that for HDMI. Check if your TV supports it for S-Video, an option called 1:1 pixel mapping.
    Nope, it doesn't
    However, do you mean to say that you got it working entirely correctly in 720i? As I think that is all my TV is capable of anyway, its native resolution is 1366x768. Having said that though, I have never been able to transmit to the TV in that resolution in either XP, Vista or Ubuntu (thus far).

Hippocampus, you mentioned setting resolutions using nvidia-auto-select before, but I'm not entirely sure how I do it. I can see it in both the Screen section and the Device seciton, but can't see any resolutions to replace kind of thing. I have also just noticed that I have 2 screen selections with different information:

Code:
    Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Default Screen"
        Device         "Configured Video Device"
        Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
            Modes      "nvidia-auto-select"
        EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Videocard0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option         "TwinView" "1"
        Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
        Option         "metamodes" "TV: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +1024+0"
    EndSection
    Is that a problem?

EDIT: Putting any value of TVOverScan in either Screen section makes no difference to anything from what I can make out.
    Last edited by MotherMayI; April 28th, 2008 at 11:59 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast