At least, that's what it looks like. This is my first post. I hope to have a nice stay. This is with a friend's laptop. It's an IBM ThinkPad R51.
Before installing Ubuntu 7.10, Windows used internet just fine. But when he installed Ubuntu, Windows stopped being able to access the Internet (only Ubuntu uses it now).
Now, if you're asking "who would want to use Windows for internet?", he'd like to get his Windows connectivity so he can play the online game he's installed on it (that doesn't have Linux version apparently) since his other computers don't have good graphics cards on them.
When I unplug the network cable, the network with the red X icon appears (meaning it's disconnected). When I plug it back in, the connecting icon appears (the yellow ball going back and forth) and then it disappears, meaning it's connected. But there is no internet! Does Ubuntu restrict anything like that?
My friends have told me that it's impossible, but it's happening. He tried to reinstall Windows from the recovery partition, but he can't access it since Ubuntu changed the boot partition. I'll be trying to work on the WinXP CD this week and try to reinstall, but any feedback will be appreciated.