Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Resolution

Beans

Cool Small Resolution

I'm tired of the small screen resolution that I have while using Ubuntu. The largest I have available to me is 1024x768. My screen is capable of going higher than that since I also use this screen for Windows XP.

How do I get it to go higher? The other day I found a thread on this issue, but I didn't really understand it (newbie here!) and now I can't find it. So, please, if anyone would like to help me fix this, please reoly. Thanks!

Wotcher

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Small Resolution

Quote Originally Posted by Wotcher View Post
    I'm tired of the small screen resolution that I have while using Ubuntu. The largest I have available to me is 1024x768. My screen is capable of going higher than that since I also use this screen for Windows XP.

How do I get it to go higher? The other day I found a thread on this issue, but I didn't really understand it (newbie here!) and now I can't find it. So, please, if anyone would like to help me fix this, please reoly. Thanks!

Wotcher
    Ok what version of Ubuntu are you using, Feisty, Gusty, Hardy? What is the model of your graphics card?

Beans

Wotcher
    Either install your graphics card using "restricted drivers" in "system -> administration" or add some resolutions in your xorg.conf file.

I believe hardy has a gui tool for that, not in gutsy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by overdrank View Post
    Ok what version of Ubuntu are you using, Feisty, Gusty, Hardy? What is the model of your graphics card?
    Hi, I'm using Gutsty. I went to System > Administration > Screens and Graphics. And it says that my Graphic card is "Intel 845."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by billgoldberg View Post
    Either install your graphics card using "restricted drivers" in "system -> administration" or add some resolutions in your xorg.conf file.

I believe hardy has a gui tool for that, not in gutsy.
    I tried going to the restricted drivers and it says that I don't have any hardware that needs restricted drivers.

I have no idea how what a xorg.conf file is (I'm a noob! sorry )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, I'm using Gutsty. I went to System > Administration > Screens and Graphics. And it says that my Graphic card is "Intel 845."
    HI and I would suggest using synaptic manger to locate and install the 915 resolution.Then restart x with the alt, ctrl, backspace bar all at the same time. This has helped other and to view your xorg you can use this command in the terminal
    Code:
    cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    This will allow you to see what resolution are set in your xorg.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by overdrank View Post
    HI and I would suggest using synaptic manger to locate and install the 915 resolution.Then restart x with the alt, ctrl, backspace bar all at the same time. This has helped other and to view your xorg you can use this command in the terminal
    Code:
    cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    This will allow you to see what resolution are set in your xorg.
    Ok, so I've opened the Synaptic Package Manager and I found the 915 resolution program. So all I have to do is check mark it and then it'll install? And what's this about restarting x?

Wotcher

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Ok, so I've opened the Synaptic Package Manager and I found the 915 resolution program. So all I have to do is check mark it and then it'll install? And what's this about restarting x?

Wotcher
    Yes you can either restart x or the system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Wotcher
    CTRL + ALT + Backspace restarts the X server. Unlike Windows the GUI in Linux is separate from the operating system. You can run Ubuntu or any other Linux without a GUI.

The graphical interface is provided by X-Windows which runs on your operating system. If you make any changes to the configuration of that (by installing that 915 resolution program for example) you can apply them by restarting X. You don't have to restart the whole operating system.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spec-chum View Post
    CTRL + ALT + Backspace restarts the X server. Unlike Windows the GUI in Linux is separate from the operating system. You can run Ubuntu or any other Linux without a GUI.

The graphical interface is provided by X-Windows which runs on your operating system. If you make any changes to the configuration of that (by installing that 915 resolution program for example) you can apply them by restarting X. You don't have to restart the whole operating system.
    Ok, I've installed 915 resolution from the Synaptic Manager and I restarted X.

I've gone to the Screen Resolution preferences and it only shows the three sizes that I already have, the largest being 1024x768.

Did I do something wrong? How is this supposed to work?

Wotcher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast