Thread: Call of duty 4 runs extremely slow

Beans

Call of duty 4 runs extremely slow

I followed the instructions on how to patch and install .diff files for wine. I then I compiled wine. I downloaded the no dvd crack from gcw. I have the latest drivers from envy,(I also tried the restricted driver)

The menus are free of lag. In game play I get around 5-10 fps on any setting and on any resolution. Although, at 640 x 480 i manage to get 30 when there is nothing going on, but it soon drops back to <10 fps.

other than that, resolution seems to hardly have an effect. If anything I lose 5 fps if i switch from 1280x800 to 1680x1050. All of the extra details are turned off(glow and ect.)

Here are my specs

Dell Vostro 1500 series
    t7500 dual core 2.2
    8600m gt
    3gb ram

I feel that I should be able to run it smoothly at least on medium at 1280x800

Can this be fixed, or is it just wine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Call of duty 4 runs extremely slow

Quote Originally Posted by powrslave View Post
    LOL

Is this game built for Linux?
    NO?
    And you want support...?
    Chill out, this is a forum. It's a friendly request, no need to troll.

To OP: the game is very new and wine is still not up to snuff for every day gaming. Try using a different wine version or dropping COD4 down to DX8.1 if you can. The game is going to be a tough one, so be patient.

The speed issues may be caused by some unimplemented Direct9X calls, so there may be nothing you can do at the moment.

Beans

Alright, I kinda knew that was the response I was going to get. Thanks anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

No need to give up yet. Ask around on appdb and you may find some better anwsers.