Page 929 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 429829879919927928929930931939979 ... LastLast
Results 9,281 to 9,290 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by RaHorakhty View Post
    . Most consumers like to use closed source systems and applications like adobe cs, matlab, ms office, and all the video games..
    Most computer users don't use Adobe CS. There is only a very vocal minority who must have CS for work and a bunch of people who pirate it and use < 5% of its features (your regular users don't pay $700 + for it) Gamers are again a minority as pointed out. Matlab is not a common application but for those who need it (me) it runs natively in Linux.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gnuser12 View Post
    hello,
    matlab runs only on windows
    and therefore my question
    Is there any other software ?

sorry my english isn't so good
    That is because you get the Windows version. I run Matlab natively in Linux.

Beans

Just a quick update.

I did install a fresh 12.10 version.
    But before doing this I did a very quick and dirty research about most of the apps (not desktop softwares) I use most on win8.

I have to say... I never really focused on it (why should have I... it worked easily on win), but I discovered that chrome apps store has pretty much most of the apps I use....

ok they don't look as good.. but they work nicely

Now... I only have to find a way to get rid of unity but still keeping some of its features

I think Win8... will run nicely on the virtualbox...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Bupsss View Post
    Just a quick update.

I did install a fresh 12.10 version.
    But before doing this I did a very quick and dirty research about most of the apps (not desktop softwares) I use most on win8.

I have to say... I never really focused on it (why should have I... it worked easily on win), but I discovered that chrome apps store has pretty much most of the apps I use....

ok they don't look as good.. but they work nicely

Now... I only have to find a way to get rid of unity but still keeping some of its features

I think Win8... will run nicely on the virtualbox...
    You might want to give unity a try for a while...you would be surprised how quickly it can "grow on you"...that happened to many here, including myself....i thought at first i wouldn't care for it but then spent about 2 weeks (with a positive attitude) and really got to like it a lot...

The "key" thing is to put all your favorites and most used apps on the unity dock for easy "1 click" access...
    Last edited by craig10x; February 20th, 2013 at 06:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    You might want to give unity a try for a while...you would be surprised how quickly it can "grow on you"...that happened to many here, including myself....i thought at first i wouldn't care for it but then spent about 2 weeks (with a positive attitude) and really got to like it a lot...

The "key" thing to is to put all your favorites and most used apps on the unity dock for easy "1 click" access...
    I completely agree with this. Unity has grown on me. Love hitting my command key on my apple keyboard and bringing up the unity search for the apps i don't use on my dock. also the command + s key to switch workspaces. Love it!

Beans

Gaming is the main reason I keep a Windows partition, with Steam implementing support for linux I am pretty sure we will see much more focus in that area soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
    Gaming is the main reason I keep a Windows partition, with Steam implementing support for linux I am pretty sure we will see much more focus in that area soon.
    very true. Although I am starting to grow out of gaming a bit as I get older. The only game I play from time to time is World Golf Tour, which is a browser based golf game. Very realistic and fun

Beans

+1 since april 2006 and I switched also almost all my family sine (+6)

Beans

I installed Ubuntu on my desktop about 3 months ago and haven't looked back. Since then I have converted all of my machines to ubuntu and Lubuntu on one slow G4 powerbook. I had to boot windows the other day on my girlfriends machine in it blew me away how much I dislike it after such a short time away! LOL. That being said, The powerbook has been a very difficult battle. As of now I have tried several distros on it with mixed results but keep ending up with Lubuntu although even that is sub-par on PPC..... Time to pitch it I think.

Beans

Hey , New guy here . I have completely moved to Linux, love it ,Tux started learning me about 2 years ago and there is no going back to windows,not a gamer , Have tried different Versions ,I'm running Backtrack 5R3 now,

trying to get a rockfish usb bluetooth adapter to work on a thinkpad z61t if anyone can help please ? ,

this is where I'm at , I tried sudo hciconfig hci0 reset.
    sudo hcitool dev

I am trying to configure it or find the device with bluetooth manager but it does not discover it

Page 929 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 429829879919927928929930931939979 ... LastLast