Page 111 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211611 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

My first linux experience was about a month ago. I installed Xandros and duo booted with Windows XP. I had issues with volumn and connecting to my printer. The same week I received my Breezy Cds and subsequently installed 5.1.0. Then on the last day of May just hours before its official release I downloaded Dapper 6.0.6 LTS. When I started with the install I selected the erase disc option for partitioning. There has been a learning curve and I'm still working on my wireless but, I have reached a point where I am comfortable with this version of Ubuntu. You have to be willing to put something into it if you want to get something out of it.

Beans
    Hidden!

I've been using Ubuntu for about 2 months now, still haven't gotten it fully configured and working...ugh, should be soon though, switching to Kubuntu, much more compatable and fast desktop environment.
    -Patrick
    let the strings lead you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I just last week switch to using only linux and i love it....the only thing that angers me is that i can't for the life of me get my ATI Radeon 200M working with the ATI propriatary drivers. Anyway everyone should use linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Smile Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I got forced to switch completely to linux, mac osx went wrong and when trying to install doesn't recongnise the hard drive, I tryed to partition it and tried to do it manually and ended up breaking it!
    Linux runs fine and I'm getting used to it and falling in love with it!
    It just doen't go wrong which is a definate plus, thats why I left windows nehind for macs becasue I got fed up of the daily crashes.

I think I will try to install mac osx on again partitioned though because I need itunes for my ipod and I miss dashboard, I used to use it lots!

Oh well, I never knew what linux was, but I'm surprised ubuntu isn't more popular.

Beans

Due to requirements at work, I need to use Windows on a semi-regular basis. My first attempt was to install VMware server (now free) and run Ubuntu in a virtual machine. The performance was awful.

So, I decided to take the opposite approach...I backed up my files (from Windows), re-formatted the hardrive and installed Ubuntu (6.06). I then installed VMware for Linux and now run Windows (only when necessary) in a virtual machine.

It has worked well beyond my expectations. A highly recommended approach for those who need to run Windows yet want Linux as the primary OS.

One caveat, getting VMware to run on Linux took some tweaking, so I'd recommended someone with Linux experience be within ear-shot to assist here as necessary.

john

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Pure linux at home. Had no other choice when windows did its thing. Its a word I have not had any reason to speak of till now. Viiiirr...rus..ses.....viruses.

Beans

I started a few months ago with a dual boot situation. Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux. I have since switched completely to Ubuntu and will never look back. Yes things are a little more involved in the Linux world but I dont have Bill Gates looking over my shoulder anymore. The freedom of Ubuntu is extraordinary and this support group is something that I recommend to everyone that I talk to. How can it get any better than to have an OS that a complete NooB can get help with without the fear of reprisal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I still use Windows XP (only few % of my time), mostly for some games. Ubuntu has everything what i need. I feel much more safe under Ubuntu, because i don't need to care if my software is illegal or not
    And Ubuntu has great community with nice forum, where i can search for answers to all of my questions

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

3 of my desktop systems (Pentium II, Pentium MMX, and 486) have hard drives that are too big for the BIOS to handle, and Windows won't run on them because of that. Well, Linux runs fine on them, and I use Xubuntu on the Pentium II and Pentium MMX systems. My laptop, a 2004 Toshiba Satellite A65-S126, could run Windows, but because I switched OSes largely because of Windows' deficiencies to geeks, I have no reason to run Windows at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by NewDisciple
    You have to be willing to put something into it if you want to get something out of it.
    Ah, so true. A point the mainstream media and anyone wishing to ditch Windows need to understand. You can't just expect it to work like Windows--you need to be willing to relearn everything because it is a different OS.
    Last edited by linuxfanatic1024; June 15th, 2006 at 07:02 AM.
    Registered Linux user #357557

Microsoft: You've got questions; we've got dancing paperclips!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Arrow Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I want to completely abandon Windows and its software, and use only free stuff. But, lo, I am unable to do so. (Photoshop and more.) So I multi boot to Windows 2000, Windows ME, and Ubuntu.

In the meantime, hardly a day goes by that I don't find some piece of linux software that works as well or better than its Windows equivalent. gparted is an excellent example: it is every bit as good as Partition Magic 8. So I fuly expect Linux to catch up to and exceed Windows one of these days.

OTOH, maybe I will buy a MacBook and run Windows 2000, OS X and Dapper Drake on it. I'd *love* to do that. Besides, I've always wanted a laptop. Yeah. That's the ticket.

Frankly, I am torn between my love of all computers and all OS's and my boredom with *******. Yeah. That's it I am terminally bored.
    Walterius

Page 111 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211611 ... LastLast