View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 339 of 952 FirstFirst ... 239289329337338339340341349389439839 ... LastLast
Results 3,381 to 3,390 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Linux not ready for ipod == not ready for desktop

Why not just buy an mp3 player which don't use any proprietary software to download or manage your music.
    I would rather prefer see people understand the danger of proprietary softwares and DRM and buy another mp3 player than seing a full ipod support coming under linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Problems what I have with my iPod are that I need to different programs to sync it and to use podcasts. I need iPodder to download the podcasts and gtkpod to move them to my iPod.

Then the bugs. Amarok doesnt' understand my Ipod so I cannot use it with it. Rhythmbox can read my ipod and download podcasts but cannot sync my Ipod. So both of them are useless to me.

Then gtkpod. First of all when I added my music to the library I got several (Read: couple hundred) error messages that some files cannot be added to playlist. Those were nfo's (understandable) and lot's of mp3 which still were actually added to my library.

Then syncinc, drag and drop? It tried to create some playlists which I did not want. Also the user interface required much more thinking and learning than iTunes. After this I just decided that, no, these programs aren't good enough for ME, it's just easier to boot in windows to do this. Let's see again in a year or two.
    Ubuntu Dapper with XGL = totally addicted.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Quote Originally Posted by frodon View Post
    Why not just buy an mp3 player which don't use any proprietary software to download or manage your music.
    I would rather prefer see people understand the danger of proprietary softwares and DRM and buy another mp3 player than seing a full ipod support coming under linux.
    Because Apples design just beats the crap out of others? And let's face it. Proprietary software and DRM is a must in these days.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GoA View Post
    Because Apples design just beats the crap out of others? And let's face it. Proprietary software and DRM is a must in these days.
    That's why my Ipod Runs RockBox

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Quote Originally Posted by !nkubus View Post
    That's why my Ipod Runs RockBox
    I think it's better not to start tweaking my Nano. Too expensive to brake it.

Beans

Re: Back to windows I go!

B3Nji, what makes you thnk anyone cares if you go back to windows or not. Sure its your choice but you don't have to announce it to the world. For every whining user like you there are 100 out there that love Linux and would never cosider going back to windows. If ever i need something that Linux can't do I'll boot up the laptop which still runs windows. Thats yet to happen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Why get an iPod? They have so many design flaws:

- The iPod shuffle doesn't even have a screen
    - All iPods have non-removable batteries
    - The iPod video's battery doesn't last long enough for you to watch a movie
    - iPods don't support many formats that other music players do, E.G. Ogg, FLAC, WMA
    - iPods don't have FM radio, line-in recording, and a microphone (something that's standard in many other music players)
    - The iPod Nano is probably the most scratch-prone piece of electronics out there.
    Last edited by Carrots171; August 18th, 2006 at 01:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

bah who cares about iPods. i don't own an iPod. i have an mp3 player by olympus caled an m:robe it works fine with ubuntu. i also have a wee cheapy one that is basically a glorified flashstick, it works fine. everything(almost) works fine. i have less problems on ubuntu. its ready.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by insane_alien View Post
    bah who cares about iPods. i don't own an iPod. i have an mp3 player by olympus caled an m:robe it works fine with ubuntu. i also have a wee cheapy one that is basically a glorified flashstick, it works fine. everything(almost) works fine. i have less problems on ubuntu. its ready.
    Exactly.

Why are people ALWAYS targetting a specific product and say "hey it's not that compatible so linux is eh sux0r !"

I'd say APPLE and the IPOD are not ready for Linux, not LINUX is not ready for the desktop !

What kind of logic is that !?!

Linux user #424458

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I posted the link to the /. post and my brief essay (misspellings and all) thereon to show just how frivolous the "not ready" claims can be. I have maintained both in these forums and now on /. that individual desktop readiness is a worthy consideration, but one that's ultimately irrelevant to mass adoption.

Aysiu, I agree completely with your "myth" essay. We seem to be approaching the issue from two different angles and reaching the same conclusion. I tend to think of mass adoption from a historical/economic point of view. If anyone is aware of any credible academic literature on computer and/or operating system mass adoption, I would love to read it.

As far as the iPod itself: I don't have one, and won't be getting one. DRM is *not* necessary to me. Most of my music purchases these days are local independent bands, whose CDs I pick up at shows. Ripping via grip or sounjuicer to ogg q4 means I have the music on my computer and any compatible device DRM-free. I have no use for iTMS or any of the subscription music services, and I may be one of the few people in the community who's come to *like* Rhythmbox. Is that because I had no experience of iTunes in windows? I'll never know.

All of this is irrelevant, though, because individual users will not effect a massive migration to desktop Linux through their separate, disparate desktop migrations. The home market did not determine the direction of mass adoption before, and likely will not do so in the future.

Page 339 of 952 FirstFirst ... 239289329337338339340341349389439839 ... LastLast