Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your forum suggestions..

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Edubuntu forums

Quote Originally Posted by bored2k
    As the Ubuntu popularity grows (i.e. as they days go by), more ubuntu-based distributions will surface. That said, I don't think we need a separate forum for _each and every one_ of them. Imagine of Debian did this. Heck, the next GuadaLinex will be based on Ubuntu, so we have to make a forum for that ? Do you even know what Guadalinex is? Not likely. My point is, there's no need for a separate forum. That's my opinion.
    The difference here is that Edubuntu is official. It's not just based on Ubuntu, it's part of the Ubuntu proper. Furthermore (and this is just my opinion) the Edubuntu project, because it is targetted specifically at schools, is in some aspects more important (<--not quite the word I was looking for...) than the general Ubuntu and Kubuntu projects.
    If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.
    ~Sirius Black, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Beans

Re: Post your forum suggestions..

I think more subforums on Ubuntu 5.10 Support Gnome or KDE are needed. Actually they have only 4 very limited subforums (AMD 64, Apple, Gaming, Desktop). Most of the questions must be posted in the root forum. In a few minutes, post go down and down because a lot of people post there, so a lot of posts are ignored because they are in the 4th o 5th page in the forum.

I've sometimes post there and my questions were ignored. After "uploadong" my post (by replying myself with a "nobody?" reply, and the like), and with a little of luck, someone replied it.

I think that in a forum with more subforums fewer post will be ignored, because people will see more post without moving through pages. For example, I read somewhere that, when using google and other search engines, people usually prefer searching a lot of times changing the words than search few times and advancing through pages with search results.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure."

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Edubuntu forums

Quote Originally Posted by macgyver2
    The difference here is that Edubuntu is official. It's not just based on Ubuntu, it's part of the Ubuntu proper. Furthermore (and this is just my opinion) the Edubuntu project, because it is targetted specifically at schools, is in some aspects more important (<--not quite the word I was looking for...) than the general Ubuntu and Kubuntu projects.
    Edubuntu is squarely aimed at a small group of people who will use it as a tool to get a job done. They will be people with less ability to solve computer problems than the typical forum user, under less comfortable conditions. I imagine a teacher who needs the computer to work and does not have the time or the inclination to fsck around like a home user who is playing around with Ubuntu.

These users would probably find it easier to ask questions in a forum, rather than a mailing list. I would also imagine there would be financial restraints which would prohibit them from getting the kind of paid-support they would get from a proprietary OS.

I think a lot of users would be really keen to help out a classroom full of ubuntu computers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Make all forum posts count in the post count.

You have no idea how annoying it is when you have posted like 1500 times but only have a 500 post count.

Beans
    Hidden!

Can we consider having a "All Threads/Forums Read" button in the new post window?
    It is available in other forums that I used to use (SuSE Support) and I find it a useful and quick way of marking everything as read.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xequence
    Make all forum posts count in the post count.

You have no idea how annoying it is when you have posted like 1500 times but only have a 500 post count.
    xequence, this is exactly the kind of attitude that urged us to fix which areas counted toward a post count.

We are a technical support forum, and at this time, we are not currently discussing changing our post count policy.

If all you care about is your post count, answer questions in the technical support areas and you will have a higher post count.

kass
    ??? :: ubuntu is my OS soul mate
    UDSF :: Forum Policies :: Unanswered Posts :: Ruby :: Donate
    official ubuntu member
    :: ??????? :: so say we all

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Titus A Duxass
    Can we consider having a "All Threads/Forums Read" button in the new post window?
    It is available in other forums that I used to use (SuSE Support) and I find it a useful and quick way of marking everything as read.
    I'll look into that - see if it's something we can do.
    official ubuntu member

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ameerirshad
    Jabber!

Why does the User CP only give the option to fill in ICQ, MSN, Yahoo! and AIM Instant Messenger id's? I think many GNU/Linux users, as such ubuntu users do have and use a Jabber client, don't we? Or maybe the new Google Talk/GTalk client?

Then we can ask Mark (Shuttleworth) to install a jabber server on ubuntu.com and the members who have no jabber id yet can open or get an official ubuntu jabber id!
    Ok, I have a more definitive answer as to why we don't have Jabber or Google Talk available - the current IM protocols we do offer are special in that, in theory, you can click on them and instant message people through the forum. (Also, just adding them as 'extra' fields in the software doesn't make them show up easily in the UserCP - which is why we haven't done it.)

VBulletin (our forum software) doesn't offer Jabber or Google Talk protocols with it's install. I am currently looking into some extra plugins that may offer these two protocols in addition to the ones we do offer.
    official ubuntu member

... so a lot of posts are ignored because they are in the 4th o 5th page in the forum.
    If you do like to post, it is good to check pages further back and answer questions that people have written about. Sometimes you can even find answers to your questions. I had problems with my floppy not automatically mounting. I just was going through the forums page by page, and found the answer. It was on page 29 then. I went back through more pages and found a number of people who had the same problem and were looking for an answer, so I answered their posts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't know if there is already a feature or not, but in the Gentoo forums you can update the title of the message even after other people have posted.

This was handy in being able to put [Solved] into the title so in a quick glance you could see if it is solved (and may answer your questions) or that it is already solved (and can continue to another unanswered / unsolved questions).

It wouldn't have to be the ability to edit the title of the post, an icon would work just as well of some sort. Just something the original poster can flag to easily note whether a situation is answered.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast