Page 157 of 289 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159167207257 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

I have Linux as well, and that is the only draw back I see, you can't play any games. Even though I don't mind, I still like to click around some games once in a while. But oh well, I think Windows is nothing but bloat-ware anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Crash!
    Nope don't miss windows a bit. If you think Ubuntu/linux dosent have enough programs, take a looooong look through Synaptic Package Manager some time. If your still not satisfied, add some more repositories. Then there's the price difference, I really like . And the improvement in licensing issues (wanna share it with a friend, it don't matter who knows you did).
    Did I mention stability difference? Fantastic support (and a choice of pay or not pay). Gosh, have you not tried Ubuntu?
    Like the old commercial said; "Try it, you'll like it!"
    Shawn

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

"Try it, you'll like it!"

It's as if Ubuntu has Life and Love built into it.. It breathes and beats with you.. It becomes a part of you... It moves like a human moves...

Get a feel for Life.. Try Ubuntu and watch it point you to reality...

Reality is "the brotherhood of mankind".. like we're all one big "Ubuntuish Family".. Ubuntu's big statement, is "freedom".. Ubuntu's logo is "three people hugging"...
    Ubuntu is this powerful computer operating system they gifted to you in freedom.. as love as love gets... Wanna "taste" love..? Check-out "Ubuntu-910"...
    Free to try.. Free to keep.. Free to own.. Free to help them help you build it bigger and stronger and better for you...

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&so...i=g10&aql=&oq=

Beans

Thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth...

I've been trying Ubuntu since Hardy heron, always dual-booting with Vista and now 7. I have tried and tried to use it exclusively, but always go back to Windows. There are a lot of programs that I use that just won't work on ubuntu such as TC2007, TDAmeritrade Command Center, freestockcharts.com, etc. Almost all are stock charting programs and I haven't found anything close in Linux.

And, at least on my machine; (HP dual-core, 3gb)there doesn't seem to be much of a speed difference; Ubuntu boots about 8-10 sec. faster. Firefox still takes about 10 sec to start.

If Silverlight(Moonlight) would work in Firefox, I'd be on Ubuntu all the time. None of these programs will work in WINE. And Crossover is $40; I paid $49 for the Win 7 upgrade. So, even with all it's bugs and bloat-ware and BSOD, it's Win7; at least for now.
    Last edited by richf; March 21st, 2010 at 01:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

pro video editing, i know you can edit videos with Ubuntu but I feel it is still not at the pro level I am use to. I have tried a number of Linux programs but it still need work.

Beans

You know what? Linux just doesn't have the blue screen of death.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Like most people, games is the only reason I keep windows around

Beans

What can windows do that linux can't? Be my primary o/s.

I'm a causal gamer and try to stay with console games. However starcraft 2 is coming up and so far the beta is a hassle to get working under wine and has glitches. So I am stuck rebooting every time I want to play sc2.

Some of my dvd backups tools like anydvd do not work with wine. IMGburn is plain better than any of the linux disc writing programs and is free. Or the software for my harmony remote. Rebooting a few times a week would be no problem. When you find you have to reboot all the time I start to think whats the point. Maybe some things would work great in a virtual box but not games.

I'm not a fan of Micro$oft but I think windows 7 and even vista (updated) work fine. Maybe a few of you do have blue screen problems but the vast majority of you are over exaggerating. My only issue with windows is the vulnerabilty to malware and its run by a greedy corporation with poor business practices. Maybe once the official release of sc2 comes out it will be stable under wine and I can use a virtual box for my other applications.

Beans

I've had pretty good luck getting most of my (slightly older) games to work pretty well on Xbuntus. What i wish linux could do that windows can't is play netflix online.
    Kubuntu SMOKES windowsXP on video and opengl desktops... my old AthalonXP 2000+ with an NVIDIA FX5500 will show me nice, smooth video (even flash video) in 3D desktop cube mode, and XP won't even show me hi-dev video without major page-tearing.
    If i could just watch netflix, my mediaPC wouldn't need an XP partion anymore.
    I guess console emulators do seem to run a bit better under XP than Kubuntu, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Gaming generally.

Things like Fly For Fun doesn't have a a linux native client and probably won't.

Other things like iphone synch and other phones apps are windows only and sometimes OSX friendly but never linux friendly. Now some smartphone are having android and it's a pretty sweet phone but we still can't tell how good this is working with Linux.

That's it I believe.

Nico
    Linux cheat sheet

If you can't afford to loose it, if you don't know how to get it back: back it up.

Page 157 of 289 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159167207257 ... LastLast