Thread: looking for an illustrator program

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Talking looking for an illustrator program

first off, i love flash animations. i love drawing and painting. i dislike the gimp very much. when i still had mac osx, i used photoshop and or illustrator. aside from macromedia (adobe) flash studio or whatever it's called, i only experimented with flash animations. this past december i made a 100% switch to ubuntu, and i love it, but now i do not know what to use for decent art programs. i have a budding portfolio on deviantart, and need to upload work, but most importantly i need to create art pieces. any information would be greatly appreciated.
    I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journey-work of the stars. - Walt Whitman

Beans

Re: looking for an illustrator program

I enjoy inkscape. It's for vector images, so if your coming from illustrator like me, I found it much easier than gimp.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ok i'll try inkscape! um, any ideas for an animator?
    I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journey-work of the stars. - Walt Whitman

Beans

Maybe try F4L. Although I must admit, I haven't used it myself.

Beans
    Hidden!

You could try Krita (not for animations), haven't used it myself but others seem to think it is easy to use.

For animation there is also KToon but once again I have not used it myself.
    Last edited by kopilo; March 12th, 2007 at 07:29 AM.
    sometimes people put up walls, not to protect themselves but to see who cares enough to break them down.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Possible avenues I'm trying/have tried, myself.

You can try out a program called "Synfig studio": http://www.synfig.com/ But it's in the early stages and kinda buggy. Used for making non-interactive 2D vector animations.

Get the demo of crossover office and run "Flash MX 6", specifically, on it.

"Moho 5", now called "Anime Studio". No Linux version has been released by the new owners, even though there was one during the time it was Moho. Like Synfig Studio, above, except it uses bones to animate the object. If you use your Google-foo, you can probably find a demo of Moho 5.4.

"F4l" has been canned, and the developer joined up with the "Uira" people: http://www.uira.org/ but I haven't been able to get the silly thing to work. I believe the project has dried up.

Beans

Anime Studio Pro 5 is now available for Linux. It's an excellent program if you want to do animations. Having this program running natively is a big boost for Linux in my opinion. Other than that, Inkscape is great and free for vector drawing. You can get drawings from Inkscape into Anime Studio via adobe Illustrator format. I can't say it works that great but you get your vectors from one to the other be it with colour problems. I will be testing this further.

By the way, Gimp is great in my opinion but it took me some time to get used to it. There are a few drawbacks but mainly I can do everything I need to do in Gimp rather than Photoshop which I have also used. I do all my 2D bitmap editing in Gimp. I use Gimp on Linux and on Mac in preference over Photoshop which is absurdly expensive.
    Last edited by efflux; May 9th, 2007 at 11:13 PM.