Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: I installed Ubuntu with a hate for Windows. You?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: I installed Ubuntu with a hate for Windows. You?

The reason why I prefer linux (i still dual boot, need windows for school & work), DRM, MS telling me that I have to get a new license after changing hardware once too often.
    Just the general costumer unfriendlyness of MS, basically.
    Approach life & cooking with reckless abandon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I felt nothing, I started on unix and I am still using unix, windows is just there like air pollution, or stupid people.
    It's all good!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    I will admit that Windows' sluggishness becomes glaring when you've worked with a snappier system, though.
    My God, yes. My WinXP machine is fairly trim, and while slower than my Ubuntu laptop, I attribute that to the much slower specs overall.

However:

Dualbooting Vista and Gutsy on this laptop, I can now definitely feel the doggedness of Vista versus the speed of Gutsy. I timed my startup for Vista from GRUB last night, and it was well over a minute and a half.

From GRUB to Gutsy, I think I get ~30s. The difference is amazing.

Likewise, I harbor no ills to Microsoft PRODUCT. I don't like the company's business practices, but they made a fairly decent product (referencing XP here). I still play Counter-Strike and Final Fantasy XI on XP, and I use my Gutsy laptop for everything else.
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Curiosity, and I'm hooked

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Plamondon View Post
    I really like Windows, but I installed Ubuntu because I wanted to experiment, and to learn a new, more customizable OS.
    Same here, with Linux I can meddle more with the OS.
    [Arch + KDE]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I installed Linux because I wanted to use linux. Microsoft really didn't have anything to do with that.
    Don't Panic!
    Practice safe text. Never run a command unless you know exactly what it is going to do.
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I do not necessarily "hate" Micro$oft, I do indeed have a strong dislike for the Windows OS and I use Ubuntu whenever I can. I dislike that its as easy to crack as a peanut shell. I am quite careful on windows as to not get viruses, but with Linux, you don't have to worry about being careful, you just simply wont get them. It kinda makes you want to go to a site that has been laden with viruses and just laugh because it won't affect you at all. So, as I don't really "hate" M$ Windows, I love Linux.

Beans

I do not like Microsoft. Windows I would hate less if it were not owned by such a company. Same goes with Mac. It is mostly philosophy for me.

Beans

I installed Linux after I was going to have to reinstall Windows XP because it was getting slow again...and I thought I might as well try Linux. Also, I had recently had some really horrible experiences with the free "upgrade" to Windows Vista on my laptop. It worked fine at first, but things kept crashing, including iTunes, right after you would buy a freakin album! I got really mad at M$ then, and I still don't really like them, but 2000 and XP aren't all that bad.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

For me, I tried to duel-boot windows and linux, but in the end, ended up making my laptop not boot at all. I wiped the linux partition and left it unallocated space and unformated. even in doing so, my windows still would load; so, I said, "**** it!" and installed Ubuntu and haven't had a problem since ^_^ My boot is between 29 and 42 seconds (on average about 33). I have experienced a few dificulties (Ubuntu crashing), but other than that, life is normal

One of my friends is all pissed that I installed linux and still insists that windows is way better... >:/ It is not and is more like a Mac than anything else >_> I love you linux

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast