Page 5 of 104 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Samsung ML-2510

I just bought this printer today and have it working perfectly with Feisty without having to use the included software nor having to download anything. Basically I installed the printer via System-->Administration-->Printing but chose Samsung ML-2010 as the model (that is AFTER the machine correctly detected that an ML-2510 was connected) and gdi as the driver.

This was based on information I found via the Linux Foundation OpenPrinting initiative. I posted my results on the ML-2510 page.

See http://openprinting.org/show_printer...amsung-ML-2510.

Beans

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Heavily revised guide, hopefully it will be a little easier to use now. Also made notes relevant to the latest driver release, which is much easier to install than previous ones, and seems to have addressed essentially all complaints (except the security related ones).

Ooops, spoke too soon: NOW they have permission problems on the directories, which makes it impossible to directly delete the unpacked files. Noted as step 10 in the main post.
    Last edited by tweedledee; July 28th, 2007 at 02:37 PM.

Beans

I just installed the July 20 unified driver. On Ubuntu Feisty (32-bit)
    My printer is a CLP-300N model and is connected to network only (not using the USB connection that is also on the printer).

Following this guide I changed permission on the install.sh file and then edited the first line changing /bin/sh to /bin/bash.

Then I used the ./autorun and install went as expected.

I do have some notes here related to teh network printer (as opposed to a directly connected printer)

At the printer select screen during driver install, no printers are detected since the local printer radio button is ticked. I choose the network printer radio button and then select Browse for Printers. Installer finds my CLP300N on the network and presents it for installation.

After install completes I go to (in Gnome) System -> Administration -> Printing and the printer is already in there. I don't have to do anything further. The connection properties show it as being connected using IPP://-*IP_address_of_printer*- so IPP printing appears to be working fine here.

I have also made this printer available to my wife's laptop which is running WinXP. No issues.

And since I have the printer set as a static IP I can easily log on to it using a web browser by using it's IP address. Lots of settings available in that interface as well.

My next quest is the SmartPanel application. It just plain didn't work and I see there is a new build for Linux. The previous build would ONLY work and show ink levels if you had the printer connected via USB. The Windows version of SmartPanel can see ink levels over the network. If the new SmartPanel build sees ink levels on a network-connected printer, then I will be one happy camper.
    Dell Zino HD, AMD Neo X2 e6850, 8GB, 750GB, ATI HD4330 in MXM slot.

Beans

CLP-300N is working fine as a network printer. I can NOT get the SmartPanel application to work, however, as it asks me to install a supported driver or port. The Windows version of the driver/SmartPanel can see ink levels over the network, but the linux version seems unable to sort this out. I have installed the printer as IPP, LPD, TCP-HP JetDirect-Raw, and none of those options enables the SmartPanel aplication to work.

While the printer does work quite nicely as a network printer and it does play nice with all of the computers on my network, I can only easily check ink levels from a Windows machine. I have instaled the driver successfully into a VirtualBox VM running WindowsXP and I can check the ink levels from there as SmartPanel works from the VM.

If Samsung would include ink level displays in there WebSync application from the printer, then this might be easier, however I am going to press my Samsung rep to pass on the information to Samsung regarding the general displeasure with their driver changing permissions and also getting this SmartPanel application to work with a network-connected printer in linux.

If anyone has gotten the SmartPanel application to work on a newtwork connected printer, I would be very interested in hearing about it.
    Dell Zino HD, AMD Neo X2 e6850, 8GB, 750GB, ATI HD4330 in MXM slot.

Beans

I have another problem with this printer. Since the install everytime I start the printer cups-add open itself and I have to re-select the printer or cancel. Any idea on how to avoid this screen ?
    But the bigger problem is that my usb external Hard drive mounted at startup crashed after I start my printer. I need to reboot my computer with the printer powered off in order to re-mount my hard drive !
    When my hard drive crashed it doesn't appear anymore in /dev where previously ot was /dev/sda5 !
    Any idea what the problem can be and how to solve it ?

I tried to use http://jacobo.tarrio.org/Samsung_SCX-4200_on_Debian tutorial but I was unable to apply the Fix for the MFP port issue section which seems to be my problem

I am using Feisty and Samsung 20070720 driver

Beans

great work tweedledee but I am not there yet with my 2510. Things work fine with a direct connection or as a network printer connected directly to my Mac. The problem is that I can't get it to work when connected to my USRobotics with built in print server.

Couple of items:
    I'm relatively new, and tried to follow the sudo commands, but not sure what I should see as feedback (should I see anything other than password request for sudo)... the only message I get back is with the last edit command:
    my terminal says
    sudo edit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
    Warning: unknown mime-type for "/etc/sane.d/dll.conf" -- using "application/*"
    Error: no "edit" mailcap rules found for type "application/*"

I think ownership was wrong, was at root, now with me when I send a job. (My username under "owner" in print queue.)

With IPP (as to my working Mac connection) it sits there and says printing, with HP JetDirect it says "socket error" for status (seems to change the socket from 9100), and with LPD says "job hold until specified" in queue with printer "offline" in properties information.

I did notice that the LPD doesn't preserve the router path as ipp://192.168.2.1:1631/printers/My_Printer ... it drops the 1631 from HOST and places printers/My_Printer as queue.

One last observation. When using the unified driver I can't manually enter anything. If I add content to a path such as ipp://192.168.2.1:1631/printers/My_Printer I don't receive a forward button. I am forced to exit without entering anything and have been trying to create the printer from inside System>Admin>Printers as you suggest.

Any suggestions?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wet_colored_arch View Post
    I'm relatively new, and tried to follow the sudo commands, but not sure what I should see as feedback (should I see anything other than password request for sudo)... the only message I get back is with the last edit command:
    my terminal says
    sudo edit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
    Warning: unknown mime-type for "/etc/sane.d/dll.conf" -- using "application/*"
    Error: no "edit" mailcap rules found for type "application/*"
    Replace "edit" with "gedit" or "mousepad" or whatever your favorite text editor is. I'll clarify that in the main post.

I think ownership was wrong, was at root, now with me when I send a job. (My username under "owner" in print queue.)
    This is normal - the print job will take on the user account from the program issuing the command.

With IPP (as to my working Mac connection) it sits there and says printing, with HP JetDirect it says "socket error" for status (seems to change the socket from 9100), and with LPD says "job hold until specified" in queue with printer "offline" in properties information.
    I do not have personal experience, perhaps others can help. All I can immediately suggest is to make sure (as much as you can) all user accounts are set correctly in the chain you have set up, so that you have rights to print with every device.

I did notice that the LPD doesn't preserve the router path as ipp://192.168.2.1:1631/printers/My_Printer ... it drops the 1631 from HOST and places printers/My_Printer as queue.
    LPD uses a different format from IPP; the two are not interchangeable, although they may both work with any given pair of devices if supported.

One last observation. When using the unified driver I can't manually enter anything. If I add content to a path such as ipp://192.168.2.1:1631/printers/My_Printer I don't receive a forward button. I am forced to exit without entering anything and have been trying to create the printer from inside System>Admin>Printers as you suggest.
    The driver has never worked for me to install the specific printer, so I just always use the Gnome interface, which should produce exactly the same end result.

Beans

thanks for the clarification on the editing... but still no luck, tried CUPS too (instead of Gnome interface) and consistently getting "backend" failure with printer shown as "ready" and the message for the print job at "paused job hold until specified"

i thought the "paused job hold until" could be a cryptic message for wrong size paper, checked this and it was wrong but when I corrected the media size I had the same problem

i've worked on this off and on for 8 months or so, but thought I should give it one more try...any other ideas are appreciated

really ticks me off this can't be better, and have seen a few unresolved similar posting in different forums.... printing problems is THE main reasons I can't recommend linux to many more than I do - I kind of assume it is a problem with my router USR5461 but both the printer and router are supposed to be linux compatible

ss...

Beans

i thought the "paused job hold until" could be a cryptic message for wrong size paper, checked this and it was wrong but when I corrected the media size I had the same problem.
    No, this just seems to mean "can't communicate." I get this trying to use IPP with my printer.

really ticks me off this can't be better, and have seen a few unresolved similar posting in different forums.... printing problems is THE main reasons I can't recommend linux to many more than I do - I kind of assume it is a problem with my router USR5461 but both the printer and router are supposed to be linux compatible
    Based on my quick survey of the USR site, I think you'll need to use the JetDirect/RAW connection when it is connected to your router, on port 9100(?). And it sounds like both your devices meet the official criterea for Linux compatibility, the way most companies use: under at last 1 set of conditions, when used in isolation, the devices work. I don't believe USR is supporting any of the *nix printing protocols (but someone with more experience can certainly correct me). If in fact you are restricted to RAW, you should try some other test to see whether your printer can actually handle that input reliably; my CLP-550 is hit-or-miss with it (sometimes it prints, sometimes it doesn't, and it would never print a .pdf). If you're restricted to one format for the router and a different one for the printer, the two simply won't work together. When you say "as a network printer connected directly to your Mac," what do you mean? Are you printing through the router on the Mac? If so, then I think I'm out of ideas.

Beans

what I meant by printing from MAC:

If I have it on router, I can print from MAC (but not from Ubuntu)
    If I have the printer on the MAC, I can print from Ubuntu on the MAC by using the printer as a shared printer.

Page 5 of 104 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast