Page 14 of 104 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Thanks for comments

I'm not sure how much hardware/software the 600 shares with the 550, but the 550 has been a problem on Ubuntu since Fiesty, and practically useless since Gutsy. When it would print at all, it behaved as you've just described.
    As the 600 is already SPL-C, you might try a related (e.g., 650) PS driver to see if that helps, but it may just make it worse.
    Ironically I had no problem with the 550N as I defined it as a Postscript printer and it worked fine

... something apparently also causes a breakdown in communication with certain Samsung printers - specifically the CLP series. Unfortunately, that means your only real choice with Ubuntu is to keep trying related drivers (and generic postscript) until you find one that works.
    Or switch to another distro, which may be overkill
    Or try and return it - but Samsung Linux documentation (2years old) does not refer to Ubuntu (or Debian) so buyer beware!

Beans

The upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04 completely wiped out my samsung printer install on one box. Reinstalling the drivers worked, but again, not right away.

Samsung finds the printer on mfp4, installs everything, but it won't work.

Using the default Printer tool from System/Administration, it finds the printer on a usb port, finds the driver, and printing works just fine.

No scanner though.

went to cdroot and ran the autorun script.

Kudos to Samsung for writing a native drive, /bonks for doing it so badly though.

Beans

Does anyone else have printing problems, the samsung scx 4200 prints the test page ok but prints documents off page with open office docs, or zoomed in (enlarged) to the upper right portion of the document in pdf.

Beans

I updated the original post to reflect the fact that the installer writes a modprobe.conf that can cause problems. While it seems not to be an issue for Ubuntu systems through Fiesty, it may be in the future (possibly including Hardy, I didn't spend enough time with it to check), and it is definitely a problem for Debian and other Debian-based distros. (It's step #13 for the curious.)

Also, I should point out that I am no longer running Ubuntu at all, although I am running Debian, and so far everything relevant for this thread has applied to both. I will continue to maintain this as needed, but can't promise that my experiences will align with the Ubuntu experience going forward.

Beans

Thank you tayroni! I could use scx 4200 on dapper, then after the upgrade to feisty untill today with hardy I have never been able to have it back up. Just because of those few commented lines. Thanks again! You made my day

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Smile Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Hi,

Many thanks for the information. I was struggling with it for sometime and asked Samsung and its distributor in Turkey for help but I got nothing. Thanks a million times. Now I have one less problem to think before I leave for the seaside.

best Regards

Beans

I did the Jacobo Tarrio fix as mentioned above. When I run the configurator for the SCX-4200 there is no dev/usb/lp0. The only ports are the MFP ports. When I copy over the modified libmfp.so.1.0.1 file and run XSANE it says no devices can be found. With the original file XSANE will only run as SUDO. When run as normal user it craps out. Is there another way to change the port used since my version of the configurator does not have this option? Or is there another modified version of the file that uses the standard MFP ports? I would really like to run XSANE in normal user mode instead of SUDO. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by jackbox; July 4th, 2008 at 07:40 PM.

Beans

Re: Does anyone have the SmartPanel working

Does anyone have the SmartPanel working? I'm using a Samsung CLP-300. When I first installed Ubuntu, before I installed the Unified drivers, I installed SmartPanel and once the install was complete the SmartPanel Gui came up. I then uninstalled it and then installed the Unified Driver. I then re-installed the SmartPanel but now it doesn't work. When I try to start the snmpdemon, I get a seg fault.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by komasoftware View Post
    This worked for me (7.04 Feisty) :

* download driver from Samsung (Unified driver)
    * Simply choose add printer in System-> Administration -> Printing
    * For me the printer is detected, choose install driver, select the PPD file from the downloaded archive

sudo cp ./cdroot/Linux/i386/at_root/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungsplc /usr/lib/cups/filter/
    Hello, all, and I hope I can find some help here.

I'm trying to install a new Samsung CLP-315 (non-network version) on my Fiesty box. My intent was to use a minimal possible install, because the printer will be networked, so I don't want the Smart Panel. (I have tried to get it going on a Belkin print server which worked fine with a Sammy ML-2510 and a Canon inkjet, but not when I replaced the Canon with the CLP-315. So, for now, I'm sharing the printer from a different PC running another OS [whose name I dare not mention].)

At any rate, I got the printer "working", but only in a double-half way. It prints two duplicate, identical, narrow columns, each a half-size version of the page, separated by a series of white bands every 3 mm or so. I'm attaching a pic below, for your information and amusement.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SamBad.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	77076  
    Last edited by RamonBianco; July 10th, 2008 at 02:19 AM. Reason: clarity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Interestingly, when I do the same kind of install of the ML-2510

(GUI-install the New Printer using the Samsung ML-2510 driver from the "CDROM", then
    sudo cp -i /media/cdrom1/Linux/i386/at_root/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl /usr/lib/cups/filter/
    )

the newly installed ML-2510 printer works fine.

I would appreciate any possible fixes for the CLP-315 half-double problem I'm having.

Thanks.
    Last edited by RamonBianco; July 13th, 2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: grammar / legibility

Page 14 of 104 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast