Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: What do u miss in Linux

Quote Originally Posted by an15wn View Post
    • My Nokia PC Suite that connect to my CellPhone
    You can use Wammu for this. It should be in the repos:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install wammu
    My blog | Ubuntu Hardware List | Wine Application Database | Jamendo
    (Don't "sudo rm -rf" anything. See this page)
    It's all about fixing BUG #1!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Red face Re: What do u miss in Linux

BSOD
    you must reboot to complete the install
    ok now you must reboot to finish install
    seriously last reboot we promise
    WPA
    It appears you are trying to run windows approve or deny
    Cool Viruses.
    awesome spyware

Sometimes when I am bored I load windows up in vmware and download britney-spears-neked.scr.exe
    $ id10t(){ id10t|id10t& };id10t #and endless forking sea of....
    Specialize in Aserisk | Bash | PHP | perl
    My name is James I am a Open Source Pirate, and using a pirated copy of Ubuntu....
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

2 years ago the lack of games would have prevented me from switching. Right now I don't miss much of anything. I got plenty of stuff to keep me occupied, and Wine just incase.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Only things i miss..

Ease of game installation (only thing thats easy to install on *******), and usualy less bugs when playing them.. Wine does a decent job, but nothing compared to games on *******.. (kills me to say ******* is actually good for anything..)

And.. Winamp.. sorry, but truth be told, nothing I've tried even starts to compares to it

Other then that, Winblows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kuja View Post
    I miss all of the spyware and viruses :O
    diddo

Beans

Hi, I am not sure whether this has already been answered, I have read up to about page 20, cant be arsed checking all the way through yet as I have just got to mention this.
    ************************************************** ********************************************
    Lots of people keep saying they miss uTorrent. uTorrent works brilliantly in Ubuntu (I am running 7.10) through wine. I use it all the time.
    ************************************************** *********************************************
    I have been windowless for about 3 months now and apart from the odd REALLY frustrating time, like laptop battery dying during a synaptic update/upgrade and I had to reinstall after lots of trying not to have to. Then on reinstall, I went through the procedure to get sound (the same as I did during the first install - I had no sound) working (I keep an "ubuntu diary" file of things I did to get things working and of useful commands - and its been invaluable) but I still had no sound, so after cosmic amounts of googling and trying of different things I figured from pasting bits of different posts together I just had to swap the sound module thing from the 386 kernel image into the generic kernel image and everything is hunky dory, for now anyway!

What I miss.
    - Not having to check online if and how well some new game works before I buy it.
    - Not being able to complain like hell and demanding my money back when some feature/program doesnt work like it said it would.
    - Upgrading my HDD all the time due to M$ extensive hammering of the drives leading to very poor quality life (about 2 yrs, Win98 batters them, Vista even more so). (Although this is very presumptious. I can only go on what I have been told of how linux doesnt wear out the HDD as much as window$)
    - Not being able to give up if something doesnt work after the patch.
    - Not being able to manipulate my own files directly, but wrecking them indirectly (and quite unintentionally)
    - Not having to pay for software if I cant get a pirated serial or patch for.
    - Taking twice as long to do anything by having to constantly point and click, point and click, point and click etc.
    - BSOD
    - Useless cli
    - rebooting evertime I want to do some admin stuff, then rebooting afterwards, just to find out I have to reboot again to correct something .

Oh wait thats what I dont miss (Except for the first one!)
    But seriously, the only important one is the drivers thing and Nokia PC Suite (which I know there are apps similar, but in window$ I used to just be able to plug in the work phone to my laptop, click on use mobile as modem (or some such thing) and I have (almost) instant (but SLOW) internet connection. I just cant get the phone working as a modem in ubuntu without it asking for login details that I dont have (pc suite never asked for these, just connected me!).
    Last edited by salviablue; February 28th, 2008 at 07:22 PM. Reason: MIssed one out!

Beans

I often miss Windows' pretty damned decent IME which lets me type Japanese, Korean, etc. in pretty much any application; SCIM only works for me in certain applications and I can't get it to work in Firefox and Open Office for the life of me; I hope this works better in Hardy. :/

Oops, I almost forgot Foobar 2k, hands-down the best music player in my opinion.
    Last edited by boomtisk; February 28th, 2008 at 08:02 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Obviously I miss games. I miss apps like AutoCAD and ArcGIS that I cannot get to work in Linux. The warez scene.

I often miss Windows' pretty damned decent IME which lets me type Japanese
    +1, I loved that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Not much really. I like the simplistic app feel in Linux as opposed to Windows where the big guys cost lots of $$ and come with never-will-be used features.

Why pay for Office 2007 when OpenOffice will suffice? How fancy do you need to get with digital paper?!

I guess I've been poisoned from the long term use of windows. Every once and a while I think to myself (is it a good choice to cut cold from windows?) but I'm still getting my feet wet, and I can always use Virtual machine.

As for gaming, I don't have much time for those likes now a days. I find a quest for knowledge a lot more fulfilling.
    Last edited by L815; February 29th, 2008 at 10:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Nothing.
    Hmm, maybe my Amiga. (R.I.P)

Page 59 of 91 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast