Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: PPTP GUI (Connecting to a Windows VPN)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: HOWTO: PPTP GUI (Connecting to a Windows VPN)

Quote Originally Posted by jklappenbach View Post
    A few more things worth noting. I have not been able to get the vpn plug-in for networkmanager to work, and, of course, pptpconfig doesn't get me connected. You can use pptpconfig to set up a tunnel descriptor.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    #connect to work
    sudo pon [name of your pptpconfigured tunnel]
    #wait for connection
    sleep 10
    #add routes
    route add -net  [remote network ip] netmask [netmask] dev ppp0
    In my case, my company's internal network addresses are all virtual and based on 10.*.*.*. Therefore, I set up my remote network ip as 10.0.0.0 and the netmask as 255.0.0.0.

Next, I checked /etc/resolv.conf after executing the previous lines. I found that there was no "search" entry. Some may not need this, but I needed to alter /etc/resolv.conf to include the line:

search [remote domain name]

As part of the configuration actions of pon (IIRC) resolv.conf will be modified to include the ip addresses for dns to use for name resolution on the tunnel. In my case, these lines alone weren't enough to enable proper DNS names for protocols. I had to type everything in as IP addresses, not names. Adding the "search" line in resolv.conf ended up doing the trick.

Finally, I created a short shell script to automate all this, taking a command line arg of "on" or "off" to start or stop the vpn tunnel. This could be placed in init.d to enable automatic startup of the tunnel if needed. If anyone would like a copy of the script, let me know.
    I had the same problem. Although my resolv.conf was auto-editted (by the pptp-client scripts) to include my company's DNS address, I was missing the crucial:

domain foobar.local

line. I had a hunt around in /etc/ppp and came across the ip-up.d/0dns-up script. On a hunch, I created a file (mode 644) in /etc/ppp/resolv called the same name as my tunnel (e.g. /etc/ppp/resolv/foobar) with any extra lines I wanted in my /etc/resolv.conf after the tunnel was established. So, /etc/ppp/resolv/foobar contains simply:

domain foobar.local

and, after the tunnel is established, my /etc/resolv.conf contains:

domain foobar.local

nameserver 192.168.0.3

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by spiceisland; May 5th, 2007 at 12:49 PM.

Beans

How do I configure pptp-config to use my wireless card instad of ppp0? (wireless is ath0)

this is the output from pptpconfig
    "Using interface ppp0pptpconfig: monitoring interface ppp0

Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/0
    Modem hangup
    Connection terminated.
    pptpconfig: pppd process terminated by signal 16 (failed)
    pptpconfig: SIGUSR1"

firestarter is recording hits out of my computer using protocol "GRE", but not specifying a port so I dont know which port to allow.

When using permissive mode (only blacklist traffic is blocked) then this is the output:

"Using interface ppp0
    pptpconfig: monitoring interface ppp0
    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/0
    LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
    Connection terminated.
    Modem hangup
    pptpconfig: pppd process terminated by signal 16 (failed)
    pptpconfig: SIGUSR1"

Firestarter records hits coming in using "GRE", but since its already in permissive mode, there is no way to allow these communications from the server.

How do I fix this?

Beans

ok well yea in retrospect that was a stupid question. duh allow the host on the outgoing and incoming list.....lol

ooook it connects yay...ok now time for another stupid question:
    how do I route my traffic through the vpn?? I started it and went to http://whatsmyip.org and it came up with my internal IP, so either the vpn doesn't act as a proxy (which I would think it should) or firefox wasnt going throught the vpn

Beans

Will adding that script get rid of the "Failed to open /etc/pptpconfig/lock information entered has not been saved"?

I'm trying to use PPTPconfig to set up a VPN on Fiesty. I've followed the instructuions above to install the additional repository but when I run sudo apt-get install pptconfig I get the following error message:

pptpconfig:
    Depends: php-pcntl (>=4.3.7) but it is not installable
    Depends: php-gtk-pcntl (>=1.0.0) but it is not installable

I can't find these pacakges anywhere.

Is there an update or replacement for pptpconfig that doesn't have these dependancies and will run on Fiesty?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi! i have a problem with this how to. I needed to install the PPTP so i can connect to Internet and i had to download all the packages and dependencies manually. Then,finally, after i had done everything I tried to connect but an error occured. It shows me this
    Code:
     Connection terminated by peer. MPPE required, but MS-chap[v2] not performed.
    What should I do?
    Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by spiceisland View Post
    I had the same problem. Although my resolv.conf was auto-editted (by the pptp-client scripts) to include my company's DNS address, I was missing the crucial:

domain foobar.local

line. I had a hunt around in /etc/ppp and came across the ip-up.d/0dns-up script. On a hunch, I created a file (mode 644) in /etc/ppp/resolv called the same name as my tunnel (e.g. /etc/ppp/resolv/foobar) with any extra lines I wanted in my /etc/resolv.conf after the tunnel was established. So, /etc/ppp/resolv/foobar contains simply:

domain foobar.local

and, after the tunnel is established, my /etc/resolv.conf contains:

domain foobar.local

nameserver 192.168.0.3

Hope this helps!
    works charmly good & better together with jklappenbach testing, including the tips for the scripts inside /etc/ppp which made the thing quite easy.

Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lsilver View Post
    I'm trying to use PPTPconfig to set up a VPN on Fiesty. I've followed the instructuions above to install the additional repository but when I run sudo apt-get install pptconfig I get the following error message:

pptpconfig:
    Depends: php-pcntl (>=4.3.7) but it is not installable
    Depends: php-gtk-pcntl (>=1.0.0) but it is not installable

I can't find these pacakges anywhere.

Is there an update or replacement for pptpconfig that doesn't have these dependancies and will run on Fiesty?
    I assume you added:
    # James Cameron's PPTP GUI packaging
    deb http://quozl.netrek.org/pptp/pptpconfig ./
    (or something similar) to your
    /etc/apt/sources.list

If so, then I assume that you are using an AMD64 version of ubuntu.

Both php-pcntl and php-gtk-pcntl from Mr. Cameron's site are for 386 architecture. As such, those of us who want to use pptpconfig on an AMD64 are out of luck. One could always find the source for the php-* programs and compile them to AMD64, thus creating a usable 64 bit version.

Beans

IN between these posts, I can see there are people who do not have the ' VPN' options available in the GUI.

I have had this problem too. Changing the wireless-settings to Roaming fixed this. When I set my network manually, I do not have VPN options.

Is this a BUG, worth to be mentioned? Can anyone check, if it's the case at their Ubuntu's?

An other issue: when connected to VPN, all works. I can get at my work-drives, and check my mail by the exchange-server. But most internetpages don't work! Closing the VPN makes it allright! I don't know how to fix that...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by skudvision View Post
    I assume you added:
    # James Cameron's PPTP GUI packaging
    deb http://quozl.netrek.org/pptp/pptpconfig ./
    (or something similar) to your
    /etc/apt/sources.list

If so, then I assume that you are using an AMD64 version of ubuntu.

Both php-pcntl and php-gtk-pcntl from Mr. Cameron's site are for 386 architecture. As such, those of us who want to use pptpconfig on an AMD64 are out of luck. One could always find the source for the php-* programs and compile them to AMD64, thus creating a usable 64 bit version.
    Get the AMD64 rpm packages from http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=121786

Convert to deb files using
    sudo alien <...>.rpm
    Then install:
    sudo dpkg -i <...>.deb

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast