Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suse - if 'she' were my girl I'd dump her

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Suse - if 'she' were my girl I'd dump her

Sabayon Linux... hmmm.. put in it my pc last night and ran from liveDVD - not as impressive as I previously thought. Ubuntu is still my outright champion - slick, fast reliable and very nice to look at. If you actually run Sabayon from the liveDVD, you will probably be overwhelmed by the billion++ apps they have put on in live mode - WAY too confusing!!. My eyes didn't know where to look there was just too much on the menus.

Also the alsa version was rather old from what I recall - not impressed really, as much as I was by all the fancy artwork on the site.

By the way - when is Ubuntu going to have a SIMPLE XGL/COMPIZ/AIGLX tool, as they have in Mandriva 2007?. Seems like a bit too much legwork for the average person to get it running. If it is in Ubuntus interest to make Linux easier and cleaner to work with, then why are there SO many hoops to jump through JUST to get a 3D Desktop??

Odd..... come on guys, I really would urge Ubuntu to work on making 3D Desktop configuration and setup, a LOT LOT easier. I can imagine being Joe average from off the street, and looking at all the command line stuff and thinking ...

This is the ONLY fault I have seen in Edgy Eft so far - it needs attention desparately!
    Last edited by unlokia; October 22nd, 2006 at 05:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Suse - if 'she' were my girl I'd dump her

i don't like the suse bashing. After playing around with fedora, freespire & hoary hedgehog, it was suse (9.3) that sticked on my pc. I stayed with suse untill 10.1 killed yast. if it wasn't for suse, i woudn't be using ubuntu now. I took a look at ubuntu in my early linux days, and i did not like it then. Suse is much more (beginner) user-friendly than ubuntu. I wish ubuntu devellopers loked at tools like Sax2 and yast. I really mis these programs in ubuntu.

They are doing some very interesting stuf with suse (compiz/xgl, xen, buildservice, ...)and i think it is rathet stupid to start ranting about a broken alpha! release. Suse 10.2 will be out somewhere in december. i will watch at that release. But i doubt i will switch back to it, because i would mis these forums to much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12