Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: There have to be more choices in firewalls

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: There has to be more choices.

iptables is already very, very good at what it's supposed to do. I guess there's just no incentive for anyone to write an alternative, so must 'firewall' applications are essentially jus GUIs which interact with iptables.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: There have to be more choices in firewalls

Why? Firestarter is good enough. And there are other ones like OSSEC-HIDS

Beans

In my humble Opinion...

Hardware Firewalls > All the rest.

Just keep that 'remote admin' off, lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I think Linux being Linux, the propensity is more towards distros being used as firewalls...such as Engarde Linux, and Bastille Linux, and so on.

Beans

If you want simple, then there is nothing more simple then lokkit.

Its available in command line version of gui version. There is absolutly no different, the questions and layout are exactly the same.

It asks you what level of security you want, high, medium or low. Choose what you want. I think it asks about two questions relating to networking. Click apply and you are done.

None of this messing around like with guarddog and firestarter. Ok it wont give you as good a set up as the previous two. But it is a good enough configuration for most home users. As far as I know Lokkit was developed by Redhat.

I personally prefer the Iptables in Linux as a firewall over any windows firewall. Ok it is not as easy to set up as say norton of mcafee if you are doing advanced things. But here is the big bonus, I dont have a process running in the background eating up 15% of my my cpu while it is idle. Iptables is a kernel config so its not any extra overhead on your machine. Thus freeing this saved cpu time etc for thins that you want to do.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Illidan View Post
    I think Linux being Linux, the propensity is more towards distros being used as firewalls...such as Engarde Linux, and Bastille Linux, and so on.

Ahhh, yeah - didn't consider that really. Of course, if it's sole purpose is a firewall, personally I think just a stripped down command line setup would work best.

But also - how 'new' is Ubuntu? I just found out about it a couple weeks ago - I'm sure that soon enough, we'll see a buncha goodies for it.

Still a good thread, if any coders were looking for a project I suppose.. Coding's a big time sink I've never really been able to devote time to. Silly ol' Video Games anyway!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Overcast32 View Post
    Ahhh, yeah - didn't consider that really. Of course, if it's sole purpose is a firewall, personally I think just a stripped down command line setup would work best.

But also - how 'new' is Ubuntu? I just found out about it a couple weeks ago - I'm sure that soon enough, we'll see a buncha goodies for it.

Still a good thread, if any coders were looking for a project I suppose.. Coding's a big time sink I've never really been able to devote time to. Silly ol' Video Games anyway!!
    First release was october 2004: http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/releases

I really don't see the need for a replacement for iptables.
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

skymt is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There's no reason to have anything but iptables. It's simply the name for the packet filtering features in the Linux kernel, and the tools to control them. To make another system would be worthless duplication of effort, when we already have something that does the job very well. "Why don't we have more graphics systems? Why just Xorg?" Because that's all we need!

I'm pretty sure Windows has a similar (probably inferior) kernel interface that all the GUI firewalls over there interface with. It's just less visible, since ZoneAlarm doesn't advertise their product as a "front-end for Windows BlockPackets", or whatever it's called.

If you want more front-ends, there are plenty on the command line. Firestarter is the only major GUI one, because the "fool new users into a sense of security" field in Ubuntu is fairly small, unlike in Windows. If Symantec started marketing security tools for Linux, I'm sure the field would expand greatly.
    Are you Listening?
    Are you a Hero?
    Are you Sleeping?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

It's been said before: iptables is complete and sufficient for any firewall application. I think Jpazindustries is really looking for a variety of front-ends. Maybe someone will write him a front-end that works the way he wants.

I would also encourage Jpazindustries to give the existing front-ends a fair try, if he hasn't already.

Beans

thanks for the extra information fellas, it was helpful. I love to learn about these sorts of things.
    Workers of the world unite! Do not go unheard!! soviet-empire.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast