Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A brief explanation of the forum changes in progress

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

A brief explanation of the forum changes in progress

We are making some changes in our forum sections. This is in direct response to input from users who have been saying that the forums seem a bit cluttered, especially on the front page.

What we are doing is merging the different sections that were based on the older Ubuntu releases; Warty, Hoary and Breezy into the Dapper sections and then making two sections; "Ubuntu Assistance" and "Other Support". In other words, we are eliminating the separate forums for each release. We have instituted a tagging system for all posts and the older posts will be tagged with the name of the distribution release from their section of origin.

We are also merging some categories that are somewhat interrelated.

Third Party support now has its own category.

Here are how things are going to look very shortly (or to which they may already have been changed).
    The Beginner Community
    - Absolute Beginner Talk
    - News & Announcements

Ubuntu Assistance
    - General Help
    - Desktop Enviroments
    - Apple PPC
    - x86 64-bit
    - Sun Sparc
    - Installation & Upgrades
    - Networking & Connectivity
    - Hardware & Laptops
    - Multimedia & Video
    - Ubuntu Development Discussions
    - Edgy Eft
    - Breezy
    - Warty
    - Hoary

Other Support
    - Accessibility
    - Education & Science
    - Gaming & Leisure
    - Art & Design
    - Servers & Security
    - Faqs, Howtos, Documentation, Tips & Tricks
    - Respositories & Backports
    - Programming
    - Ubuntu Users Mailing List

3rd Party Projects
    - (All current projects)

Community Discussions
    - Ubuntu Cafe
    - Ubuntu Forum Feedback & Help
    - Resolution Center
    - The Jail
    - The Fridge
    - Community Marketplace
    - Other OS Discussions
    We are also discussing some subtle changes in the Development section. Since the posts in that area are only certain to relate to the specific alpha, beta, or release candidate versions of that release we will most likely NOT be moving posts or "how tos" from the development section into the Other Support forums. We request that all how tos, etc., that are written during development be tested by their authors (or others) after the final release of the new Ubuntu version and then posted to the appropriate area at that time. This will help staff as we have tried in the past to sort through and figure out what needed to stay in the development areas and what should be moved. It will also help us maintain the record of conversations during a development cycle in their proper location while minimizing clutter in other places.

If you could give us a few days or maybe a week for the dust to settle and then give us your feedback we would appreciate it. I'll leave the thread open so you can comment...again, please give us some time to sort things on our side (and find bugs) before overwhelming us with suggestions/critiques/criticism.

Thanks everyone for your understanding!! Here's hoping we can do a good job of responding to felt needs without messing it all up.
    Last edited by ubuntu-geek; October 8th, 2006 at 08:35 PM.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Thumbs up Re: A brief explanation of the forum changes in progress

Thanks for the detailed info and all of the excellent work that the forum staff does daily. I understand that these types of forums are very dynamic in nature and that it's often necessary to do these kinds of structural adjustments.

This has quickly become one of my favorite destinations on the net. Thanks again for all of the hard work by everyone involved and rest assured that's it's very much appreciated on my end. =D>

Best regards - Joe
    "That to live by one man's will became the cause of all men's misery." - Richard Hooker

Beans
    Distro

Re: A brief explanation of the forum changes in progress

Quote Originally Posted by IoCaster View Post
    Thanks for the detailed info and all of the excellent work that the forum staff does daily. I understand that these types of forums are very dynamic in nature and that it's often necessary to do these kinds of structural adjustments.

This has quickly become one of my favorite destinations on the net. Thanks again for all of the hard work by everyone involved and rest assured that's it's very much appreciated on my end. =D>

Best regards - Joe
    We genuinely appreciate the kind words. Thanks for the encouragement!
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Looks good so far!

I'm assuming you guys aren't done yet since a few sections aren't there yet, so I'm looking forward to the end result

While you're at it, are you able to change the Alt text for the post icons?
    They seem a bit odd...
    This () is definietly not angry looking, this guy () doesn't come across as exactly cool, and this () is certainly not a thumbs up.

Big thanks for all your hard work here!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I agree with IoCaster. The work you guys do is outstanding and I very much appreciate all the effort. The forums have been an indispensible tool for me. Thank you Matt and thanks to the rest of the staff here,

Sincerely,

Bill

Beans
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: A brief explanation of the forum changes in progress

I echo loCaster--when FireFox opens my Homepage--here I am. It has been my FIRST stop on the net almost from the first day I installed Warty--all I can say is----

GREAT JOB EVERYONE!!!!!!
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    Looks good so far!

I'm assuming you guys aren't done yet since a few sections aren't there yet, so I'm looking forward to the end result

While you're at it, are you able to change the Alt text for the post icons?
    They seem a bit odd...
    This () is definietly not angry looking, this guy () doesn't come across as exactly cool, and this () is certainly not a thumbs up.

Big thanks for all your hard work here!
    Which Sections are you not seeing?
    My Blog | Forum Search | Forum Guidelines
    Please don't PM support questions--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Off the top of my head, I'm not seeing the Breezy, Edgy, Warty, or Dapper sections under Ubuntu Release Assistance.

Oooh, I just noticed I can edit my thread titles by double clicking from the thread view!

This is an incredibly nice forum...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    Off the top of my head, I'm not seeing the Breezy, Edgy, Warty, or Dapper sections under Ubuntu Release Assistance.

Oooh, I just noticed I can edit my thread titles by double clicking from the thread view!

This is an incredibly nice forum...
    Ah those sections were merged under Ubuntu Release Assistance to the correct categories.
    My Blog | Forum Search | Forum Guidelines
    Please don't PM support questions--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.06

Yeah, we definately owe you a thanx for making the ubuntu forums as comfortable as possible.

It was just a little thing that was slightly pestering me, but thank you for getting rid of the fully capitalized forum titles (like the HOWTO section.) Now, it's crisper and more efficient than ever...I think that deserves a victory dance:
    Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none. - Benjamin Franklin
    People will accept your ideas much more readily if you tell them Benjamin Franklin said it first. - David H. Comins

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast