Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Run windows apps on ubuntu

Beans

Re: Run windows apps on ubuntu

I am using Oracle Virtualbox with Ubuntu 22.04. I was trying to run the Battle.net program from Blizzard. The setup runs fine and installs on the VM without any problems, but when I try to run the installed program it says "The program battle.net.exe encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience".

Beans

You forgot to post a link to the site for the software you are asking about. Is it the software described at the link below?

https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us

If it is, when clicking on the Download link, the only option is to download a file named Battle.net-Setup.exe which is a windows file. Doing an online search for 'battle.net with blizzard on linux' gets the page below which explicitly states 'Our games are not intended to work on Linux'.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/11571

If you don't see it on the list at winehq, I doubt it will work

Beans

I was trying to install Battle.net with wine, and it says something along the lines of "The program has encountered a serious error and has to exit". Although I was able to get notepad++ working with wine so I am guessing there are other things that I need to configure to be able to run Battle.net. I am using Oracle's Virtualbox on windows 11.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sort of a challenge with WINE, but works in top of Lutris: https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=37565

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'd also like to add the suggestion of the Bottles flatpak. It's self contained so you don't have to worry about foreign packages on your system running amok. And it has run everything I've tried. With CLI wine / pol / lutris it was always a crapshoot. And more often than not some stuff just flat failed with little to no explanation for me. I gave up on standard wine and my life is much better for it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    I'd also like to add the suggestion of the Bottles flatpak. It's self contained so you don't have to worry about foreign packages on your system running amok. And it has run everything I've tried. With CLI wine / pol / lutris it was always a crapshoot. And more often than not some stuff just flat failed with little to no explanation for me. I gave up on standard wine and my life is much better for it.
    That would be great, if it worked for what he want's to do.... Unfortunately, people have reported that the BattleNet install script doesn't seem to want to work in Bottles Flatpack: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...about_bottles/

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just install it manually. Screw the script. Didn't even know there was a script. 8.06 or w/e version of wine. Solved. Although I just deleted it finally because I'm sick of the mini game crap in there. Broken buggy, not worth the time. Seems like some of the stuff in WoW is there for the sole purpose of ******* people off. miss the old days.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

There's no need to run Notepad++ on Wine; there are plenty of native Linux text editors.

There are tricks to run some, but not all, Windows applications on Linux, but if you want a lot of them, better to run Windows. Or abandon those Windows applications and find Linux alternatives. If you try to switch to Linux while continuing to use your Windows-only applications, I predict a lot of frustration.

Beans

In post 13, you seem to be saying that you have windows 11 installed and virtualbox on windows 11 and are booting Ubuntu installled in virtualbox and are trying to run this software through wine in Ubuntu, is that right? If so, why? The site for the software shows only a windows download option and you have windows installed so why not just use it in windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    In post 13, you seem to be saying that you have windows 11 installed and virtualbox on windows 11 and are booting Ubuntu installled in virtualbox and are trying to run this software through wine in Ubuntu, is that right? If so, why? The site for the software shows only a windows download option and you have windows installed so why not just use it in windows.
    I saw that also and wondered why in Post #1:
    Quote Originally Posted by noixyy View Post
    It is also important to note that I am using the "try ubuntu option" when booting from a usb so I do not have ubuntu installed on my computer. I am planning to make the switch from windows to ubuntu I just want to learn the desktop version of ubuntu and make sure all of my apps work before I do.
    He didn't have Ubuntu installed at all. He was trying to install WINE directly into the Live Image Environment of the Booted from the "Try" option of the installer LiveUSB, which is non-persistent.

Then in Post #9 he said
    I ended up installing ubuntu on a VM for my testing. I got wine to install but it crashes when I try to run any programs.
    And in Post #11
    I am using Oracle Virtualbox with Ubuntu 22.04. I was trying to run the Battle.net program from Blizzard. The setup runs fine and installs on the VM without any problems, but when I try to run the installed program it says "The program battle.net.exe encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience".
    Then in Post #13:
    I was trying to install Battle.net with wine, and it says something along the lines of "The program has encountered a serious error and has to exit". Although I was able to get notepad++ working with wine so I am guessing there are other things that I need to configure to be able to run Battle.net. I am using Oracle's Virtualbox on windows 11.
    So, here goes... To the OP (noixvy), please correct me, or add to this if I am wrong or it needs expanding upon:

His major goal is a plan to install Ubuntu Desktop on his computer, learn Ubuntu Desktop, and ensure the programs he thinks he can't live without, works on Ubuntu Desktop... to help him decide if he can move away from having Windows installed on his computer(?)

Good plan really. Simple enough.

ajgreeny, aljames, and I suggested he install Ubuntu on a VM instead of trying to do that on an installer LiveUSB. <-- Because he wanted to try it to learn it before diving in...

At the time, we didn't know which Windows applications he was trying to run. Games are a bit more to try to get to work. Why? Because some have direct hardware calls to extended graphics. Some mentioned that the BattleNet launcher is 32bit... While the games are 64bit.

Instead of just "Guessing" about this, based on past experience... I am going to do what I do and try to recreate it myself in a KVM VM and see what it does require and try to see what does work.

Why? Because, honestly, It's been a while since I've tried to run Windows games on Linux. There are so many other good games that run 'directly' on Linux. And I dual-boot Ubuntu & Linux = I do not (directly) need to do that. The only time I boot Windows these days is to game on games that are only native Windows hardware, or do my Windows Insider testing.

BRB.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:25 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast