Thread: Detention and best practises - Advices

Beans

Detention and best practises - Advices

I already know the answer to this question is a resounding NO!

I've conducted thorough research, and most responses I've come across on this topic typically suggest:

1. It's extraordinarily unlikely.
    2. Unless a file specifically asks for your password when opened, you should be fine.
    3. Linux systems are generally safe.
    4. As long as you avoid visiting dangerous websites, you should be fine.
    5. Installing antivirus software on Linux machines is often deemed a waste of time since granting root permissions to such software can create convenient entry points for attacks.

I'm already aware of these points and take precautions by being selective about the websites I visit, verifying links before clicking on them, and confirming the legitimacy of files before opening them.
    However, if I want to determine whether my system has been compromised, I currently use https://www.clamav.net/ Are there any other options available? (Since ClamAV only scans files) What steps should I take to further enhance the security of my system?

For example, I've already divided my hard drive into two partitions - one for / and another for /home. I'm considering setting all files within /home to have file permissions of 600, allowing only the owner to read and write the files. Is this considered a best practice?
    Within /home, I have folders like "snap" and "VirtualBox". Would it be advisable to apply 770 permissions to these folders?

In addition to these practices, I'd like to implement a method for detecting files that may be spying on me. I often collaborate on open-source projects where I may receive files, such as C files, from other team members (usually, the team is just me and one other person). Even if I review the code, I'm concerned that the files (often consisting of multiple files) may still contain hidden malicious code. Therefore, I want to ensure that my computer is not currently infected.

Thank you in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Detention and best practises - Advices

ClamAV is not the way to check whether a Linux system is compromised, especially if ClamAV is installed on the system you're scanning. That's a recipe for a false sense of security.

See this post by DuckHook, and this thread where I overestimated the importance of anti-malware scanning.

Quote Originally Posted by netw844f View Post
    1. It's extraordinarily unlikely.
    2. Unless a file specifically asks for your password when opened, you should be fine.
    3. Linux systems are generally safe.
    4. As long as you avoid visiting dangerous websites, you should be fine.
    5. Installing antivirus software on Linux machines is often deemed a waste of time since granting root permissions to such software can create convenient entry points for attacks.
    (2) is incorrect, and the other points are misleadingly incomplete. Again, see the linked post by DuckHook.

In addition to these practices, I'd like to implement a method for detecting files that may be spying on me. I often collaborate on open-source projects where I may receive files, such as C files, from other team members (usually, the team is just me and one other person). Even if I review the code, I'm concerned that the files (often consisting of multiple files) may still contain hidden malicious code.
    If you distrust these files to that extent, don't run them on your main system. Only work with them in a secured, semi-disposable (i.e. snapshotted or backed up) VM.
    Xubuntu 22.04, ArchLinux ♦ System76 hardware, virt-manager/KVM, VirtualBox
    If your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."