Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: install different linux distro alongside existing

Beans

install different linux distro alongside existing

Hi!

I have installed kubuntu on my laptop using my entire hard drive. The installation process created 2 partitions. A fat32 /boot/efi and an ext4 / partition.

Now i want to try a different linux distro. But i dont want to lose my kubuntu. How do i approach this best?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: install different linux distro alongside existing

Backups, backups, backups BEFORE making any changes to drives/partitions.

Easiest way is to use pretty much any liveUSB that has GParted installed and use it to shrink the Kubuntu partition to make room for the new distro.

Two main things to be aware of:
    1. you will likely need to do a manual install to make sure the new distro is pointed at the new partition you created
    2. the new distro will install GRUB and be the one that controls booting not the GRUB of the Kubuntu install

How large is the hard drive and what is the new distro you want to install?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Note if Ubunutu flavor or even based on Ubuntu it probbly will use the same installer & UEFI boot entry.
    So you will only have one "ubuntu" entry in UEFI.
    But grub should let you boot any install as long as installs are in same boot mode or all UEFI.

If you want your Kubuntu to be default, easiest way is just to boot into Kubuntu and reinstall grub.
    sudo grub-install

You can manually edit /EFI/ubuntu/grub.cfg which has UUID of install it will use to boot into.
    But Ubuntu locks ESP with mount in fstab. You can edit from live installer, or change defaults in fstab (but less security).

If not based on Ubuntu, then you probably get a grub or name of distribution as boot entry in UEFI. It will be default but you can easily change boot order in UEFI with efibootmgr & -o parameter.
    see
    man efibootmgr
    sudo efibootmgr -v # to see current order
    sudo efibootmgr -o x,y,z
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    Backups, backups, backups BEFORE making any changes to drives/partitions.

Easiest way is to use pretty much any liveUSB that has GParted installed and use it to shrink the Kubuntu partition to make room for the new distro.

Two main things to be aware of:
    1. you will likely need to do a manual install to make sure the new distro is pointed at the new partition you created
    2. the new distro will install GRUB and be the one that controls booting not the GRUB of the Kubuntu install

How large is the hard drive and what is the new distro you want to install?
    Drive is 1TB, new system is Kali linux.

Can't i use KDE partition manager to shrink the current / partition ? Or cant i do that because its mounted?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ValentynPrumers View Post
    Or cant i do that because its mounted?
    That's a good guess, no partition tool will touch a mounted drive.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ValentynPrumers View Post
    Drive is 1TB, new system is Kali linux.

Can't i use KDE partition manager to shrink the current / partition ? Or cant i do that because its mounted?
    You cannot modify mounted drives/partitions No tool will allow that.

If I am not mistaken Kali should come with GParted. Boot it as a live medium and make the relevant changes to create space for the new install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

You can get look at many distros via web browser. They have a pretty good selection at the link.

https://distrosea.com/
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Since you appear to have a very limited knowledge in this regard, you might try installing Kali in virtual software or to a usb drive as explained in detail at the Kali site.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would recommend the same.

Kali is Debian-based... so similar to a point. If it uses the old Ubiquity installer... Then after booting the live installer media in Try mode, you could use the command
    Code:
    ubiquity -b
    To start the installer without installing Grub... Then after the install, modify the /etc/default/grub file in your pre-existing Ubuntu Install, GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER line to "false" to try to pick it up in the Grub2 menu. (***)

I've done that in the past. Otherwise, I find if I want to try out multiple Distro's... If I don't necessarily need direct hardware access with that (I rarely do these days), then I install it as a VM Guest in KVM. That makes things more flexible and controllable. With KVM, I can also dynamically give it access to some hardware resources.

I used to do Contract IT Services, which Network Support was part of that. Kali runs well as a VM. Think also about learning WireShark, and building network taps & modular cable adapters. All of that was my go-to's on my laptop going onsite somewhere to diagnose problems.

NOTES:
    *** - I dont know how, yet, to do this method with the new Ubuntu 'ubuntu-desktop-installer' Flutter Installer. It's default behavior is to install Grub2. I don't know yet how to turn that off. If someone has found a way to do that with the new installer. Please share that.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; March 11th, 2024 at 02:55 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Thanks a lot! I think i will try to install it first as VM. Do you advice KVM over VirtualBox? Ive heard there were some problems with getting the wireless network card to work on a Kali VM. Is that true, or is that fixed?

(I also might want to create a windows 10 VM while i am at it, dont know if that changes anything)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast