Thread: im not new to ubuntu but this option is not in ubuntu by default without gnome tweaks

Beans

im not new to ubuntu but this option is not in ubuntu by default without gnome tweaks

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1263...-the-same-time

its not native without installing the app gnome tweaks.

some people use ubuntu for gaming. it has the most repositories and may be the most active, am i mistaken?

keyboard and mouse - disable touchpad while typing.

im developing an app from legacy software/compiler, its much unix-like and i had mistaken that i thought the software library it uses became broken/deprecated.

most of the time i cant have a mouse its most convenient to use the touchpad on my laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: im not new to ubuntu but this option is not in ubuntu by default without gnome tw

The option is always there.
    gnome tweaks just makes it easier to enable.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Re: im not new to ubuntu but this option is not in ubuntu by default without gnome tw

your right, it is an option. my mistake. but i could not find it in the settings menu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Please mark this thread "SOLVED" using the thread tools button so people don't waste time and those seeking the same answer easily find this thread.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu 24.04 LTS (at present under development) has an option in the settings utility>mouse & touchpad. There is a touchpad tab. We can disable the touchpad while typing. We can also disable the touchpad entirely. Take care doing that. It seems impossible to re-enable the touchpad without having a mouse plugged in.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You can also [en | dis]able the touchpad from the terminal. My spouse uses a laptop and I sometimes use an ancient netbook - both have touchpads.
    Code:
    # Needs to be installed
    apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
    # Disable/enable touchpad when mouse connected
    #disable
    synclient TouchpadOff=1
    #enable
    synclient TouchpadOff=0
    Make easy to remember
    Code:
    # place aliases in [.bashrc | .bash_aliases]
    alias trkon="synclient TouchpadOff=0"
    alias trkof="synclient TouchpadOff=1"
    Oh, one other thing, I don't know if it works with Wayland.
    Last edited by him610; February 25th, 2024 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Additional line
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/