Thread: Permission denied on libvirt/images folder when try to boot the VM

Beans

Unhappy Permission denied on libvirt/images folder when try to boot the VM

I was getting a permission denied on Could not open '/var/lib/libvirt/images/servername-sda when try to boot the VM which was migrated from VMware. I am using virt-v2v tool.
    but once I remove the disk and re-add it, it can boot up fine. It make me wonder it may not be a permission issue.
    Also this only happened when VM was migrating from VMware using virt-v2v. I have no issue with a new build VM in KVM.
    The Ubuntu version is 23.04.
    Dose anyone has similar issue or any idea how to fix this?

error:

Error starting domain: internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2024-02-13T15:21:41.609882Z qemu-system-x86_64: -blockdev {"driver":"file","filename":"/var/lib/libvirt/images/servername-sda","node-name":"libvirt-2-storage","auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}: Could not open '/var/lib/libvirt/images/servername-sda': Permission denied

Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Permission denied on libvirt/images folder when try to boot the VM

23.04 support ended. Non-LTS releases really have a usuable 6-month support period.

Move to a supported release. Today, the best choice for running KVM/QEMU would be the most recent LTS, which is 22.04.

If you suspect permissions issues and have some that work and some that don't, why not look at the permissions for the files that work and the files that don't work? If they are the same, then it is something else causing the problem and you can move on.

Beans

the reason i am using 23.04 is because the libvirt version on 22.04 has a bug. I will need to update the libvirt version to 8.7.0.1, but i could not find the way to update it, besides upgrade to 23.04.

I did check the permission on libvirt/image folder. It seems i have enough permission.
    # file: home/ubuntu
    # owner: ubuntu
    # group: ubuntu
    user::rwx
    user:libvirt-qemu:r-x #effective:r-x
    group::r-x #effective:r-x
    mask::r-x
    other::---

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mtech2023 View Post
    the reason i am using 23.04 is because the libvirt version on 22.04 has a bug. I will need to update the libvirt version to 8.7.0.1, but i could not find the way to update it, besides upgrade to 23.04.

I did check the permission on libvirt/image folder. It seems i have enough permission.
    # file: home/ubuntu
    # owner: ubuntu
    # group: ubuntu
    user::rwx
    user:libvirt-qemu:r-x #effective:r-x
    group::r-x #effective:r-x
    mask::r-x
    other::---
    What's wrong with using ls -al? Using ACLs often causes issues. With KVM/QEMU and libvirt, I'd expect these permissions:
    Code:
    -rw-r--r-- 1 libvirt-qemu kvm   4667998208 Sep 23  2021 srv-2004-image.qcow2
    -rw-rw---- 1 libvirt-qemu kvm     16361472 Mar 24  2020 super_grub2_disk_hybrid_2.04s1.iso
    -rw-rw---- 1 libvirt-qemu kvm  36507222016 Feb  9 17:16 Win7Ult-Data2.img
    -rw-rw---- 1 libvirt-qemu kvm  63166218240 Feb  9 17:16 Win7Ult-os.img
    Definitely not ubuntu:ubuntu. That's broken. BTW, those files are in the default location on the VM host: /var/lib/libvirt/images/. Home directories are not the place for VMs using KVM.

I actually use LVM with most of my VMs, so no image files or any file system on the VMhost at all. The LV isn't mounted to the VM host. The LV block storage is passed into the VM as block storage. The ls output above is for a few remaining "play" VMs and helpful ISOs that can be booted from to do more stuff.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wait...

I use KVM on 20.04, 22.04, 23.10 & DEV 24.04. Just what "bug" are you referring to that has you at 23.04 and holding, without upgrading the interim release version to 23.10 to stay within the interim release support schedule?

And as TheFu Said, (in other words):

1. The files should be owned by libvirt-qemu:kvm.
    2. The permission should be set to 660.
    3. You should be a member of the kvm & libvirt groups.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 14th, 2024 at 05:25 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

And just for clarification, the end-user isn't running any KVM/QEMU VMs. There's a daemon controlled by the libvirt-qemu user that manages the VMs. My VMs are all running under the libvirt-qemu userid when I check the process table. For example,

Code:
    libvirt+    4401       1  0 Feb05 ?        00:40:28 qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -name .................
    I'd be surprised if Proxmox was different.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

+1 --- Having them owned by a user, then using an ACL to add them to what is usually native, is not what I would do. I would do that the other way, if desired. Adding a User to the native groups is what is the desired and accepted practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I'd be surprised if Proxmox was different.
    Being Proxmox is Debian Based using KVM & LXC, with their customized Debian kernel... I would say it follows the same conventions.

I just couldn't get into the, that Proxmox took over everything, and made it harder to customize what I wanted to tweak and tune. It added an undesired layer that I didn't want... (It was the same way with O-Virt).

I gave it a try. I gave it a chance. It didn't meet my requirements, by some imposed limitations. I moved on past the hype.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Wait...

I use KVM on 20.04, 22.04, 23.10 & DEV 24.04. Just bug are you referring to that has you at 23.04 and holding, without upgrading the interim release version to 23.10 to stay within the interim release support schedule?

And as TheFu Said, (in other words):

1. The files should be owned by libvirt-qumu:kvm.
    2. The permission should be set to 660.
    3. You should be a member of the kvm & libvirt groups.
    I checked the permission on the each disk under KVM default folder. it looks like when I use virt-v2v to migrate VM from VMware. the disk file is owned by the root (Node-sda), but if I remove the disk using virt-manager and re-add the disk. the file will be owned by livert-quem and kvm which i can boot up VM just fine. Is this the by design, b/c VM is migrating from VMware and i use sudo virt-v2v command?

ubuntu@noble123:~$ sudo ls -al /var/lib/libvirt/images
    total 129384696
    drwxr-x--x+ 2 root root 4096 Feb 8 19:54 .
    drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Jan 26 15:15 ..
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4191682560 Feb 8 19:56 Node-sda **********************
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 libvirt-qemu kvm 5651695616 Nov 30 21:16 en-us_windows_server_2019_x64_dvd_f9475476.iso
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 libvirt-qemu kvm 2133391360 Nov 30 20:00 ubuntu-22.04.3-live-server-amd64.iso
    -rw------- 1 libvirt-qemu kvm 26847870976 Feb 14 16:36 ubuntu22.04-sda
    -rw------- 1 libvirt-qemu kvm 42956488704 Feb 14 16:42 win2k22-sda

################################################## #######################
    after re-add the disk from virt-manager

ubuntu@noble123:~$ sudo ls -al /var/lib/libvirt/images
    -rw-r--r-- 1 libvirt-qemu kvm 4193255424 Feb 14 16:42 Node-sda*************************
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 libvirt-qemu kvm 5651695616 Nov 30 21:16 en-us_windows_server_2019_x64_dvd_f9475476.iso
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 libvirt-qemu kvm 2133391360 Nov 30 20:00 ubuntu-22.04.3-live-server-amd64.iso
    -rw------- 1 libvirt-qemu kvm 26847870976 Feb 14 16:36 ubuntu22.04-sda
    -rw------- 1 libvirt-qemu kvm 42956488704 Feb 14 16:42 win2k22-sda

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

According to the virt-v2v manpage,
    Code:
               When you run virt-v2v -o rhv as root, virt-v2v attempts to create files and
               directories with the correct ownership.  If you run virt-v2v as non-root, it will
               probably still work, but you will need to manually change ownership after virt-v2v has
               finished.
    You should fix the user, group, and permissions. It isn't THAT hard. Script it.

Beans

It seems the following method fix my issue.
    sudo vim /etc/apparmor.d/libvirt/libvirt-<code_hash>
    ---------
    and add line with your disk file: " /var/lib/libvirt/images/disk.img rwk, "

I think it probably i ran virt-v2v as root user, but when try to start the VM using virt-manager using my account. Once I add line, it fixed my issue. Thank you uvaal for the solution.

Now I am thinking if I can run the virt-v2v without sudo. I probably won't get the permission issue.
    Anyone know how to run virt-v2v as non-root user?