Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: disabling everything local?

Beans

disabling everything local?

Hello, Is there a way to disable everything and I mean everything on boot after loading ubuntu server? What I mean is disable video, USB, keyboard and mouser only to leave serial port enable?

Joseph

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: disabling everything local?

Most places Ive been that wanted to do that used a hot-glue gun to block access to ports they didn't want used.

Or you could just buy a computer that doesn't have those ports - perhaps a pi-zero? IDK, I haven't looked at pi-zero interfaces.

Beans

LOL I was thinking that. But to be honest I might hot glue myself to it too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Most places Ive been that wanted to do that used a hot-glue gun to block access to ports they didn't want used.

Or you could just buy a computer that doesn't have those ports - perhaps a pi-zero? IDK, I haven't looked at pi-zero interfaces.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by josephchrzempiec View Post
    LOL I was thinking that. But to be honest I might hot glue myself to it too.
    It is a hardware problem, so if you are software guy, don't do it.

Beans

No I'm hardware. I found people plugging in cellphones into the server of mine. Maybe to charge or something. I found nothing happening to the server. But still Trying to stop them from doing that. I thought by disabling everything including the vga would be the best bet. Don't want someone to to plug in a drive one day and it does something crazy.

Beans

Is this on a raspberry pi, to save power?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No I'm hardware. I found people plugging in cellphones into the server of mine. Maybe to charge or something. I found nothing happening to the server. But still Trying to stop them from doing that. I thought by disabling everything including the vga would be the best bet. Don't want someone to to plug in a drive one day and it does something crazy.
    Ah. Put a sign on the console. Provide a separate charger for external devices. Talk punishment over with management, including termination.

People are expected to be professionals. It should be obvious that connecting any phone to a server in a physically secured room isn't kosher. Now, if the server isn't in a physically secured room with limited access - it isn't a server. It is a workstation.

Beans

Hello, For some odd reason I no longer get email notifications from the ubuntuforum to see any new imcoming messages and not sure why. all settings are set correctly just not getting no new notifications. I couldn't see the comments for this post. I apologize for not responding back.

I have a old server a very old server. It is a cobalt raq4 server. I use to be on it many many years ago from a friend of mine who had an account. It works everything great. But I was curious what would it take to build a new version of it. Sinse it doesn't have any video/keyboard or mouse and only Ethernet as well as serial port to talk to it. If I can build a newer server like it and put everything throught a web interface like the server has. More and more I looks into the more I'm learning there is a lot that needs to be done to make something like it. Not only the administrator part of controlling everything but the user end of it too and creating accounts for each user. So that is why I'm here. Learning that it will take a lot to do something like that for me. And for a one off server like this one. I honestly don't know.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Hello, For some odd reason I no longer get email notifications from the ubuntuforum to see any new imcoming messages and not sure why. all settings are set correctly just not getting no new notifications.
    I've just checked your profile settings. Automatic Thread Subscription Mode is set to "Do not subscribe". That is why you are not getting any notifications.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Oh, is that why. Strange I thought I did. Thank you.

Edit: Wait a second, I looked and it says I'm subscribe to this post. It ask me if I want to unsubscribe from this topic.

http://deletethis.info/screenshot2.png

Last edited by josephchrzempiec; February 21st, 2024 at 11:45 PM. Reason: image adding

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast