Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu Pro? What's This?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu Pro? What's This?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveski17 View Post
    I don't disagree Fu, and I take as many precautions as I can (within reason). I'm usually patched and up to date (on Mac as well). I originally switched to Linux to avoid Windows and its dodgy security issues. I know Ubuntu isn't bulletproof, but I'm pretty sure I'm not compromised. I will probably never know for sure of course, unless I go off-grid and move into Faraday Cage. I am tempted sometimes ... lol.
    I'm the same. I patch weekly and disable things I don't use. Once I forgot to disable Bluetooth after doing a fresh install, fully updated, and headed to a conference. At the conference, my laptop was never out of my hands or on any wifi network there. However, someone dropped a file on my desktop "I hacked this PC" - for fun. When I saw that, I reloaded that evening in the hotel the entire OS and disabled bluetooth and wifi, then returned to the conference for the next few days.

Certain hardware solutions are just bad ideas, yet the world continues to use them for "convenience."

BTW, I have a Faraday bag for my cell phone and use it far too often to be convenient for other people. Being available 24/7 isn't my need. Once a day contact is sufficient, most of the time.

If I have any idea that something is wrong, I have no problem wiping the system and reloading. My backup restore process is able to restore data from the last 90 days (pick a day) on most of my systems. Some systems have a year of versioned backups. This means I can look for when any corruption may have happened, provided they didn't get the backup server.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Luckily I don't use many universe packages.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I'm the same. I patch weekly and disable things I don't use. Once I forgot to disable Bluetooth after doing a fresh install, fully updated, and headed to a conference. At the conference, my laptop was never out of my hands or on any wifi network there. However, someone dropped a file on my desktop "I hacked this PC" - for fun. When I saw that, I reloaded that evening in the hotel the entire OS and disabled bluetooth and wifi, then returned to the conference for the next few days.

Certain hardware solutions are just bad ideas, yet the world continues to use them for "convenience."

BTW, I have a Faraday bag for my cell phone and use it far too often to be convenient for other people. Being available 24/7 isn't my need. Once a day contact is sufficient, most of the time.

If I have any idea that something is wrong, I have no problem wiping the system and reloading. My backup restore process is able to restore data from the last 90 days (pick a day) on most of my systems. Some systems have a year of versioned backups. This means I can look for when any corruption may have happened, provided they didn't get the backup server.
    Most of my important files (I mean music videos lol) are backed up on air-gapped drives. I think I'll be OK with bog-standard Ubuntu LTS update patches. I have more than one computer and OS anyway. They're all as secure as I can make them without getting too paranoid.

Beans

How do I stop Software Updater from asking me to install Ubuntu Pro every time?

I want to continue without Pro and not be bothered every time I run updater.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by davedoxey View Post
    How do I stop Software Updater from asking me to install Ubuntu Pro every time?

I want to continue without Pro and not be bothered every time I run updater.
    Try the following command.

Code:
    sudo pro config set apt_news=false
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Did not work. Software Updater still shows pro updates and suggests signing up for pro.

Beans

Uninstall the vulnerable applications.

Or release-upgrade your system so you are running newer versions that aren't vulnerable.

You are complaining that you are being told that your roof leaks. Nobody likes that news, but it's still important to know. How you fix your roof is up to you.
    Last edited by ian-weisser; January 17th, 2024 at 04:13 PM.

Beans

No. I am being bugged to install Ubuntu Pro. My system and applications are kept up to date. Software updater installs updates, but then invites me to subscribe to Ubuntu Pro, which I do not intend to do. I want to stop updater from asking me every time I run it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12