Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Noble Dailys: Successes or Failures?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Noble Dailys: Successes or Failures?

If i recall correctly; I mentioned Ubuntu Studio noble issues earlier (with launchpad bug report link), but it's also written about here - https://ubuntustudio.org/2023/12/nob...-for-december/

Right now, our daily .iso images boot to a black screen with a mouse cursor. In other words, they do not work. Additionally, you cannot login to a virtual terminal to diagnose the issue via logs. This is because, upon extracting the .iso image and included squashfs file, we found out that the default live user (normally named “ubuntu-studio”) is not being created upon image build.

We do not expect this issue to be resolved until January.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I kind of remember that was fairly recent... 2 days ago, Post #92.

Oh Dang! Happy Holidays...

I guess we don't have to worry about that one for a while. LOL.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well heck...

I created a KVM VM machine with 2 SATA vDisks and 1 USB vDisk... Used the Noble Xubuntu Daily 20231215 image.

Installed 4 times. 1st said erase, and installed on /dev/sda. 2d said alongside, and chose the next drive with free space, which was /dev/sdb. 3rd install, said alongside, and chose the next device with free space, /dev/sdc. 4th install said alongside, and did not find enough space to freely choose a drive, so presented the drives in the resize panel, asking to resize the partitions on one of the drives...

It worked as expected. I couldn't recreate the error.

One thing I did notice, with the first boot of each, it had me login "twice" on each before continuing to the desktop... On the first time it returned to the second login, where it then would go to the desktop. I noticed that previously, but was a hit in the face with tonights install. Has anyone else seen that with theirs? (Just with Xubuntu. I didn't notice that with Kubuntu.)
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; December 16th, 2023 at 07:03 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I wonder: does it make any difference if the USB is a physical disk instead of a vdisk? At least, that's what I think I was doing, and probably what most people installing would be doing.

However, I'm starting to wonder if I should leave things alone for a while. I seem to be coming up with some rather odd edge cases.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    I seem to be coming up with some rather odd edge cases.
    Isn't that what we are here for? To weed through all the weird stuff? LOL

Even if something turns out to be "normal", at least we (hopefully) won't be surprised if it comes up later, asked by a user, where we can explain it. Right?

(Though that still happens.)
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; December 16th, 2023 at 07:20 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    I seem to be coming up with some rather odd edge cases.
    Isn't that what we are here for? To weed through all the weird stuff? LOL

Even if something turns out to be "normal", at least we (hopefully) won't be surprised if it comes up later, asked by a user, where we can explain it. Right?

(Though that still happens.)
    +1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by este.el.paz View Post
    :

Thanks for the fast reply . . . well, April isn't that far away . . . . : - ) I'm OK with Mantic, it seems to be "steadying down" on my machine, today booting it up didn't spin up the GPU to subsonic speeds as it seemed to be doing only last week . . . it's more quiet.

But, then, I do like fresh horsies . . . better part of valor these days seems to be to wait for "alpha" level product . . . too much going on with the multi-boot machine as it is, keeping the various "plates" operational. Might be a couple of months and then check out the "noble" offering . . . .
    et al:

So, had a couple of moments to spare, so I edited my Lubuntu mantic sources which pulled in 1017 packages and on reboot everything seems to be running well. Noble is running the machine more quietly than Mantic did . . . .

Only thing left to do is check whether my mkusb install needs to move up from "lunar" to something newer . . . ???? : - )

Beans
    Hidden!

@este.el.paz,

There is am PPA set for mkusb in Noble. It worked when I tested it. Please let me know if there is any problem.

I know that dus-persistent has problems with secure boot in some new computers (because of old versions of grub), but you should be able to make persistent live Ubuntu (and Ubuntu flavour) systems with dus-iso2usb and with mkusb-plug. Otherwise mkusb should work as before also with Noble.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    @este.el.paz,

There is am PPA set for mkusb in Noble. It worked when I tested it. Please let me know if there is any problem.

I know that dus-persistent has problems with secure boot in some new computers (because of old versions of grub), but you should be able to make persistent live Ubuntu (and Ubuntu flavour) systems with dus-iso2usb and with mkusb-plug. Otherwise mkusb should work as before also with Noble.
    @sudodus:

Thanks for the reply . . . I do have mkusb installed in my now Noble edition of Lubuntu, but seems like it isn't included in the /etc/apt/sources.list data, and is kept in "other software" in the GUI "sources and xxx" . . . where there is both "unstable" and what? "stable" editions listed . . . .

I didn't know if I could edit those in the GUI to be "noble" . . . it seems like I could, so at somepoint I'll get to it.

@guiverc:

Tried to reply to your post back on the Lubuntu forum yesterday about noble, in Debian and today in Lubuntu, forum would not load the forum page, it showed the proper link, but only see the three dots. I then tried to reply by email and this morning that bounced back. So my troubles with the Lubunut Discourse forum . . . continue.

Beans
    Hidden!

@este.el.paz,

After installing mkusb
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mkusb/unstable
    sudo apt install mkusb
    the following grep command should show something like
    Code:
    $ grep -H mkusb /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
    /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mkusb-ubuntu-unstable-noble.sources:URIs: https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/mkusb/unstable/ubuntu/

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast