Thread: Desktop Optiplex 7050 lost internet though ethernet & wifi both connect fine

Beans

Desktop Optiplex 7050 lost internet though ethernet & wifi both connect fine

Desktop Optiplex 7050 Intel Core Processor, Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS

When this occurred Proton VPN was just starting up, trying to connect with a remote server. Proton never connected, and after that Firefox, Thunderbird and Software Updater could no longer get to the network even though the connection from the computer to the router is fine. The usual ethernet connection checks out, and so does a wifi connection I just tried, recognized on both ends.
    I'm a novice.
    Running "Wireless network troubleshooter" showed a "dummy" device just below the real Wifi connection.
    From left to right the 2 lines in green read, under these headings:

DEVICE TYPE STATE CONNECTION
    wlx8c883bc144a3 wifi connected ScullyMusic
    lpv6leakintrfo dummy connected pvpn lpv6leak protection

Is there a chance that this "dummy" connection is interfering with my software's access? I already uninstalled Proton VPN yesterday, so this "DEVICE" is a leftover.
    In case this is my problem, could you provide me with the commands I could copy and paste into terminal that would disable or eliminate this connection?
    Thank you very much, I appreciate your help and expertise!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Desktop Optiplex 7050 lost internet though ethernet & wifi both connect fine

Please see: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1372...n-ubuntu-20-04

ipv6leakintrf0(Type-dummy). This issue is caused by Proton VPN to prevent IP leak when you accidentally turn off your system or disconnect from your network without disconnecting the VPN. As long as that connection remains, it will block access to internet on your device.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Re: Desktop Optiplex 7050 lost internet though ethernet & wifi both connect fine

[SOLVED] Many thanks for that link!
    I simply pasted nmcli connection delete pvpn-ipv6leak-protection into terminal, hit enter, and the problem disappeared! You're the greatest!