Thread: Cannot change brightness no matter what i do

Beans

Cannot change brightness no matter what i do

I have installed Ubuntu onto my surface laptop 4 and no matter what i try, commands or third party apps nothing can seem to change my brightness
    I am running the linux surface kernel
    Any idea what to try?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cannot change brightness no matter what i do

Do this... This just writes a value to the setting file in sysfs...
    Code:
    grep . $(ls -l /sys/class/backlight/*_backlight | awk '{print $9}')/brightness
    That value is the current setting of the screen brightness...

You can change that value by echoing a number that location in the sysfs... Decrease the number for dimmer. Increase for brighter.
    Code:
    SysFS_Brightness=$(ls -l /sys/class/backlight/*_backlight | awk '{print $9 "/brightness"}')  # This sets the path and file system to where the setting is...
    export Brightness_Default=$(grep . $SysFS_Brightness)  # This reads what the original setting was and saves it as an Environment variable
    Brightness_Setting=0.75  # <-- Set this as how many percent brightness. 0.10 through 1.00
    sudo echo $(awk -v brightness="${Brightness_Default}" -v setting="${Brightness_Setting}" 'BEGIN{print (brightness*setting)}') > $SysFS_Brightness  # This will set it.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags