Thread: [solved] burning 22.04.2

Beans

[solved] burning 22.04.2

I've been away from Ubuntu for a while and I'm trying get back to it.

I downloaded 22.04.2, verified the check sum and went burn only to find the the downloaded image is larger than a blank DVD.

How do I get around this?

Mike
    Last edited by mikealte2468; July 9th, 2023 at 04:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: burning 22.04.2

The usual way to install Ubuntu is via a USB stick.
    https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-...ntu#1-overview
    There are links in the tutorial for both Windows and Mac users.
    Last edited by tea for one; June 27th, 2023 at 08:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

An 8GB USB stick is more than enough for most recent ISO images.

I use Rufus and have never had an issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Welcome back mikealte2468

There are also command line ways to prepare your USB. Just ask if you are interested.

I use a computer case that has a HP DVD r/w drive in it. The DVD hasn't been connected for a long time. I started to pull it out today
    then realized why I had left it there...I couldn't find the old faceplate to put its place. Oh well, at least it looks like its there for a purpose

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hmmm. You only mentioned CD, not DVD. Does the computer boot via USB? Or remember the Plop CD?

If it doesn't boot directly from USB, you can boot from a Plop CD, then use that to boot a USB with the Live Installer.

What OS did you download the ISO to?
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 29th, 2023 at 04:46 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

You didn't specify what Ubuntu 22.04 LTS product, but Ubuntu 22.04 LTS was the last release that was intended to be used for installing systems from optical media (DVD etc), later releases assume FLASH/USB media.

Changes started with groovy (20.10) that caused problems, especially on older equipment (scan of media that is very slow on optical media, the timeouts that can occur being misinterpreted by some programs as other problems) though it's still possible on newer/faster equipment.

Ubuntu Desktop now requires a dual layer DVD with larger capacity, 4.7GB per layerso single layer has only ~4.7GB but dual 8.5GB (double less overhead).

Some flavors easily fit on DVD; eg. all Lubuntu's will fit on a single-layer DVD as the largest ISO currently is mantic which is ~3GB in size; it's not alone in fitting though on single layer, but any ISOs that include (optional) 3rd party video drivers on the media (instead of downloading them from the internet, ie. better for offline installs) are noticeably larger.

DVD media can still be used for 22.04, 22.10 though... though it may take more than a single install if using older equipment due to snap daemon & other potential consequences if the media check is slowed by older hardware.. for some like Ubuntu Server this can be more of a problem than others, but I was able to use hardware as old as from 2005 with multiple goes, but it was faster/easier on newer hardware.

I'd recommend just using flash media (USB thumb-drive etc) as others have already recommended.

Beans

Thanks Rubi1200 - Rufus-4.1.exe worked without a hitch, put it on a 64GB usb2 thumb drive. It took over 20 minutes to 'burn'. It boots very fast.

I'm not sure this is the right place to note this; There should be a note on the releases page http://releases.ubuntu.com/ to use a 8 GB or larger drive or a dual layer DVD.

I tried balenaEtcher-Portable-1.18.8 but it cause frequent 'hiccups' from my firewall (Comodo free on win 10 pro).
    Last edited by mikealte2468; July 9th, 2023 at 04:03 PM.