Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu install process doesn't give me option to remove windows partitions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ubuntu install process doesn't give me option to remove windows partitions

Quote Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
    The Ubuntu (and various flavors) goes thru selecting language keyboard language and layout and area zone. Then you have a choice of how to install: along side another distro (usually names the distro) or install Ubuntu (something like entire disk) or manually partitioning.
    No. Lubuntu uses the Calamares installer which has different options compared to the other flavours.
    There is no "Erase disk" option.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    If you no longer want the windows partitions, another option is to use the Try Lubuntu selection and open the partition manager and simply format the windows partitions.
    The Calamares installer option is "Start Lubuntu".
    It seems a lot of people are answering a Ubuntu question, when the issue is about Lubuntu. There are differences.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@ne29914 --
    Did you not look at the attachment? Yes, it has different Options, but... The attachment of Post #9 is the Lubuntu 22.04 LTS Calamares installer with an "Erase Disk" option... You see that there right?

I believe guiverc
    Quote Originally Posted by guiverc
    The Erase Disk option I would expect to show though (but I've encountered times where it won't show either; alas I forget the reasons for that).
    ...in that sometimes, depending on the hardware, there may be different options presented in that installer.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    @ne29914 --
    I believe guiverc

...in that sometimes, depending on the hardware, there may be different options presented in that installer.
    I can't recall any issues like that recently, and all issues where options were not shown were somewhat quickly able to be worked out and I ruled out as being operator error (ie. a used swap, unclean file-system where by the installer treated part of the disk as in-use & refused to let you install to all of disk). In many cases it was after using the live session rather than starting the installer before mounting anything (either purposely or as consequence of user action).

The Lubuntu QA testing checklist still has 22.04.2 details on it - https://phab.lubuntu.me/w/release-te...ing-checklist/ but only lists the last of each type. I performed maybe 5 alongside windows 10/11 during February & may have seen it there, but if I did I'd have just booted windows & disabled fastboot etc then re-started the live media and installed then (ignored as operator error).

I have no details of what was on the disk before hand, though my prior reply listed my thoughts anyway.

I mentioned the restarting of the live session, it's documented here too and elsewhere, but your description didn't sound like you got far enough for that to be an issue, your issue maybe you opening `pcmanfm-qt` to explore your disk, `KDE Partition Manager` likewise and forgetting to `umount` the partition(s) that were mounted as consequence of your exploration... but I'm only guessing here based on issues I quickly recognized as 'operator (me) error' & thus ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Interesting...
    I just did a live boot and running the installer. Image is a Lubuntu 22.04.2 .ISO downloaded yesterday.
    As I don't run LVMs, the picture is not as nice as yours:

Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12