Thread: Laptop speaker sound not as good under Ubuntu.

Beans

Laptop speaker sound not as good under Ubuntu.

Hi, Have installed Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS on an HP laptop that previously had Windows 8.1 installed.
    The laptop speaker sound was adequate under Windows, but is inadequate under Ubuntu.
    Speakers are too quiet, and the sound is thin and lacking base @ 100% volume
    and then often distorted above 100% volume.

The sound is good via bluetooth, good via usb external speaker and also good via 3.5 audio socket earbuds.

Hardinfo reports:

Audio Devices
    Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
    Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH

What can be done to improve the sound from the laptop speakers?

Beans

Re: Laptop speaker sound not as good under Ubuntu.

Please follow the below
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/So...otingProcedure

Give the URL generated by the script in step 3 if you hit it

Beans

At step 3 I received this url: http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=b72a35...b3c53f46715a26

In the earlier steps I read this a number of times:

" rm: cannot remove '/home/USERNAME/.pulse*': No such file or directory "

Additionally, I've been playing this video in order to test my sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC-ExFnAgXo&t=90s

It goes to the 'lower bass calibration' part in the video where even at maximum 'over amplification' the sound is barely audible through the laptop speakers.
    It sounds ok through the ear buds.

Cheers, Scottie

Beans

Huh. I've just noticed something. Usually I'm listening to sound files online through the browser and every time I click on the YouTube link above, the Firefox sound volume is dialled down automatically. Maybe I'm NOT having a problem with my speakers. I’ll need to do more testing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Scottie303; February 2nd, 2023 at 08:07 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My laptop, which has similar audio hardware and standard internal speakers, playing that same video... Internal speakers respond just like yours...

I have to use my gaming headset to hear most of that. It plays it fine, but has a greater "range" of audio than normal speakers.

Are you sure it is not just responding normally?

(Following this just to see if my expectations might be too low.)
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 2nd, 2023 at 08:15 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

I've noticed a difference since I moved from Windows to Ubuntu only a week ago with many different videos played in the browser. I'm going to keep an eye on that Firefox volume but I'm wondering if the speakers are ignored by the developers as most folks just skip straight to headphones or some other better external speakers.

Having clicked on the video once more, the Firefox volume was down again! But even when I put the volumes to the max the sound was unreasonably low. So there's something.