Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install .deb application file on ubuntu via CLI or any medium

Beans

Question Install .deb application file on ubuntu via CLI or any medium

I'am tying to install one browser. I have downloaded the application but i am unable to install via CLI. Please guide me how to install an aplication via CLI like .deb or tar.gz (Note: Here CLI(Command Line Interface) means terminal)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Install .deb application file on ubuntu via CLI or any medium

Without knowing more about the .deb package you wish to install it is impossible to give you any assurances that this will work but in general terms you need to
    1-
    cd to the folder where the .deb package is sitting, eg cd Downloads.
    2-
    Run command sudo apt install ./packagename.deb changing the package name to whatever you downloaded and do not omit the ./ prefix.
    Be aware that this is not the usual way to install packages; normally we use the repositories so tell us more about this package you want to install and use.

Beans

There are various ways of doing it. I prefer to use the apt command, it will also install any missing dependencies.

in this example, the .deb file is located in the folder Downloads, and the program you are trying to install is skype.
    Code:
    sudo apt install ~/Downloads/skype*.deb

Beans

Arrow Re: Install .deb application file on ubuntu via CLI or any medium

@ajgreeny Unsuccessful.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by electricmax; January 8th, 2023 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Because the thread was to unknown destination

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by electricmax View Post
    @ajgreeny Unsuccessful.
    Show us the full terminal content including the command you entered as that output does not make much sense to me.

Please use Code-Tags for all terminal output. Do not add images as they are often confusing and unhelpful.
    See my signature below for a How-To.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; January 8th, 2023 at 12:24 PM.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Install .deb application file on ubuntu via CLI or any medium

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Show us the full terminal content including the command you entered as that output does not make much sense to me.

Please use Code-Tags for all terminal output. Do not add images as they are often confusing and unhelpful.
    See my signature below for a How-To.
    Yes, The .deb files are installing now but tar.gz is not installing how to install tar.gz files? Is there any other command for installing tar.gz files. If yes please help me to install tar.gz application on my ubuntu. I tried but unsucessful.
    Code:
    i dont find the option to tag the screenshots as code but i found this option wrap code, i think this is not the option to tag CLI screenshot images but i don't have any choice. If i found option to tag images in future then i will tag images as coding imges #codingimages, first help me to install tar.gz or xz files then you can write me regarding tagging screenshot images. I hope you will reply to this thread and you will write me solution for tar.gz or xz files so thank you for everything.
    Last edited by deadflowr; January 8th, 2023 at 05:38 PM. Reason: fixed broken quote tag

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Open the terminal
    Enter your command
    Allow the command to succeed or fail

Copy the relevant text from the terminal output.
    Open Adv Reply editing screen (i.e not Quick Reply)
    Click on the code tag icon and paste.
    The text should now be within code tags.

Preview post to double check content.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by electricmax View Post
    Yes, The .deb files are installing now but tar.gz is not installing how to install tar.gz files? Is there any other command for installing tar.gz files. If yes please help me to install tar.gz application on my ubuntu. I tried but unsucessful.
    You can't directly install a tar.gz file. You need to extract the tar.gz file first.

Code:
    tar -xvzf /path/to/filename.tar.gz

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

But... You were asked what it was for, and what you were trying to install, so that they knew, at least a bit of what you were trying to do...

That is like saying: How do you open a box? And it is Pandora's Box. Or how do you erase a directory? And the directory is Root...

You are not giving anyone any context or details. Please help the people who are trying to help you.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Why are you messing around with a tar.gz archive of hexchat when it is available in the normal repositories and can therefore be installed with command
    Code:
    sudo apt install hexchat
    or using a GUI package manager.

I wonder if you are still using the Windows method of installing applications by first searching for them on the web, then downloading them and finally installing, or trying to install what you downloaded.

That is not the way software is managed in Ubuntu (nor in most, if not all other Linux distros) where we nearly always install applications directly from the repositories using
    Code:
    sudo apt install packagename
    or using one of the several GUI package managers available.
    I very seldom use the GUI versions but if I do use one it is synaptic, never one of the other GUI Package managers.

Packages that you find and download as .tar.gz archives are not directly installed but need to be extracted first and the file or files it contains can then be investigated. The contents could be a single file, perhaps even a .deb package but is more likely to be either source code files which have to be compiled and built into a package, or perhaps a script and other data files that will install a package if the script is executed. As a new user I suggest you do not bother with these methods, but wherever possible use the Ubuntu repositories.

Before you again start a search for a package to install in Ubuntu please search the repositories using one of the GUI software managers or ask here in the forum if you are having problems finding something that you want. There are also command line search facilities for finding applications but once again, as a new user you may find this more difficult than a GUI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast