Thread: Cuckoo Sandbox install on Ubuntu host

Beans

Cuckoo Sandbox install on Ubuntu host

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and also quite new to malware analysis, so I hope you can help me. I'm in the process of installing Cuckoo Sandbox in a virtual environment (Ubuntu 20.04 is the host, the guest is a Windows 7 VM). However, when I run the prerequisites, I get stuck. When I follow the official documentation https://cuckoo.sh/docs/installation/...uirements.html, I get an error (see screenshot below). I have tried many things to fix the problem (so many things that I don't even know what I tried and what not), e.g. installing Python 2 (2.7, since Cuckoo doesn't support Python 3 yet, etc.), but I can't solve the problem.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? Thank you in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by QIII; December 27th, 2022 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Large image removed, default font and color

Beans

Re: Cuckoo Sandbox install on Ubuntu host

Unless you've got a very good reason to use this, I would avoid Cuckoo Sandbox. If you look at the main page of the site you'll see that the last news post was from September of 2016. I'd classify it as a dead project, especially since their SSL-certificate has expired in November and nobody has bothered to get and install a new one.

Holger

P.S.: please don't post screenshots of a terminal, they are usually hard to read. Just copy and paste the text in a code-block.

Beans

Why Windows 7?its not supported by anyone so you aren't really testing anything worthwhile.

Beans

Thank you very much and I was already a little bit afraid of getting this answer.

Do you have a recommendation for setting up a lab to analyse malware / ransomware? There are types of ransomware that can escape from the virtual environment. For this reason, I wanted to install a sandbox, also because previous studies have done this (however, they used the additional information of the sandbox (dynamic behaviour analysis of ransomware, e.g. API calls, registry key operations). For me this is not very relevant, as I will be developing an anti-ransomware system myself (so I don't really need the information Cuckoo provides). The only thing I want to make sure is that ransomware cannot spread to the network and/or infect my host machine (it should, however, be able to connect with to the internet, as it should communicate with command-and-control servers).

Beans

anyone?