Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't Share a Ubuntu Folder with Windows 10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can't Share a Ubuntu Folder with Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by pcman51 View Post
    Yes Indeed I understand the security risks. But this is only used on a Local Home Network.
    And mostly for Home Automation in my own home.
    I have 3ea Dell/Wyse Thin Clients that only support the legacy RDP. So in my case XRDP works really well for my needs.
    If I find the time, I might one day consider flashing the tiny SSD on the Thin Clients with a more modern Thin Client Linux Distro. But for now things works great.
    My Biggest Goal is the retire my Windows 2016 Server that's EOL and no longer gets security updates, the Ubuntu 22.04 Server will hopefully make that happen.
    You are the first person I've heard of actually getting one of those remote RDP systems working. Yes, then you have this handled, though you may need to disable some RDP security that MSFT added and it is likely Ubuntu followed with their default compile-time options for RDP-based tools. OTOH, I don't know. Haven't touched RDP in very long time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    Did you run:
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt -y install samba
    Yes . Says Samba is already installed with latest version

I can share folder in GUI menu, and it shows up in my Windows Network PC, but won't me access my credentials to access the shared folder.
    I've only created two user accounts.
    1. The main user rdp1
    2. the second rdp2
    Both have admin rights according to the GUI menu.. I don't know how to check that by the Terminal.

I'M at a total loss here.. Any Help Please ..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pcman51 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    I looked at your link. Yes Maybe.
    https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/samba-file-server
    So Why does Ubuntu 22.04 boast to have GUI desktop menus , and now you and others are telling me that the GUI interface doesn't work,
    And I must learn to use complicated Linux commands?

Of that's what it is ok. But Why ???

Trust me I'm willing to learn, but my 35 years in Windows Server or Desktop, everything is GUI menu driven. Even the most complex setups in a server environment.
    I truly want to learn Ubuntu, But this is making me an typical example of why Windows users like myself struggle so with changing over.

All I simply want to do is Share a folder on Ubuntu to my entire network.
    That should be pretty Basic.
    And I have some 35 years experience in the Computer Field.

Beans
    Distro

Why Can't Ubuntu simply share a Folder with Windows 10

So Why does Ubuntu 22.04 boast to have simple GUI desktop menus ?, But it doesn't work?
    And others are telling me that the GUI interface doesn't work,
    And I must learn to use complicated Linux commands? in a terminal environment?

All I simply want to do is Share a folder on Ubuntu to my entire network.
    That should be pretty Basic. The Menu says Share a Folder in your network.

It installed Samba, yet people are telling me to installed it again manually, and it says it's installed.
    I'm not perfect and totally willing to learn, and I have some many years experience in the Computer Field.

But Why the GUI interface in Ubuntu it doesn't work???

Trust me I'm willing to learn, but my 35 years in Windows Server or Desktop, everything is GUI menu driven. Even the most complex setups in a server environment.
    I truly want to learn Ubuntu, But this is making me an typical example of why Windows users like myself struggle so with changing over.

Thanks in Advance for any help. And sorry if I'm venting some frustration, but this is my second clean installation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Did you do what Morbius1 said in post #8 above? It you don't follow instructions, how can anyone help? Specifically, did you add a username to the samba-specific password file? This is different from a Linux username which is used for console or ssh logins.

Linux isn't Windows. If you think it is, you'll always be disappointed. There are very different philosophical differences. Linux runs on a $5 raspberry pi Zero. Linux runs on supercomputers with 100K nodes.

Flexibility means there are usually multiple ways to accomplish the same or similar results. Not everyone uses the GUI very much. I don't. That's why I didn't say "point at X", "click on Y" 35 times, like happens with Windows instructions.

BTW, nobody here works for Canonical/Ubuntu. While we want to help, we don't know you or your expectations. The "Ubuntu Desktop Guide" probably has a section on sharing files with Windows. The Desktop Guide you need is dependent on which GUI/DE you are using.

Beans

For professionally developed and supported desktop operating systems that use SMB by default ( Windows 10 /11 and MacOS ) it has historically never been easier to set up a simple Samba home server in Linux.

Install Samba:
    Code:
    sudo apt install samba
    Make it so Windows can discover and connect to it by installing WS-Discovery:
    Code:
    sudo apt install wsdd
    Make sure avahi is installed:
    Code:
    sudo apt install avahi-daemon
    All that's left to do is create the share.

You can do that from your file manager if you want you just need to remember about the permissions of the home folder.

I've done this many times for many different users. It takes less time to set up that it did to write this post.

If you view all of that is far too complicated or if you think that is all too last century I would suggest you either:

*** Just run the Linux desktop as a desktop for a while until you get accustomed to how things work and the limitations one sees in it's use.

*** Or .. Don't use Linux.
    Last edited by Morbius1; July 30th, 2022 at 02:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Code:
     Should you have further problems posting the output of the following commands will tell us how you are set up:
    testparm -s
    Code:
    net usershare info --long
    [/QUOTE]

FYI: The user is "rdp2" and the shared folders are "Documents_home" , "Documents"
    I did as you suggested "sudo smbpasswd -a rdp2"

OK, Here's what testparm produced. Is all "Greek" to me LoL..

rdp1@server1
    :~$ testparm -s
    Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
    Loaded services file OK.
    Weak crypto is allowed

Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

# Global parameters
    [global]
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    logging = file
    map to guest = Bad User
    max log size = 1000
    obey pam restrictions = Yes
    pam password change = Yes
    panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    server role = standalone server
    server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
    unix password sync = Yes
    usershare allow guests = Yes
    idmap config * : backend = tdb

[printers]
    browseable = No
    comment = All Printers
    create mask = 0700
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printable = Yes

[print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/printers

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Did you do what Morbius1 said in post #8 above? It you don't follow instructions, how can anyone help? Specifically, did you add a username to the samba-specific password file? This is different from a Linux username which is used for console or ssh logins.

Linux isn't Windows. If you think it is, you'll always be disappointed. There are very different philosophical differences. Linux runs on a $5 raspberry pi Zero. Linux runs on supercomputers with 100K nodes.

Flexibility means there are usually multiple ways to accomplish the same or similar results. Not everyone uses the GUI very much. I don't. That's why I didn't say "point at X", "click on Y" 35 times, like happens with Windows instructions.

BTW, nobody here works for Canonical/Ubuntu. While we want to help, we don't know you or your expectations. The "Ubuntu Desktop Guide" probably has a section on sharing files with Windows. The Desktop Guide you need is dependent on which GUI/DE you are using.

Sorry if I sounded negative. This is all a learning curve for me , and while I have years of experience in Networking and Servers, I've got minimal with Linux. I have installed and running two Raspberry Pi Servers, and recently installed OpenMediaVault 6 and all went without a hitch.
    I also realize it will likely turn out to be something stupidly simple that I missed called my learning curve.
    And doesn't help that I'm 71 years old. HaHa.. OK Let's make that my excuse.. LoL

But I'm very Grateful for everyone's help, and hopefully can assist others also in the future.

More notes are below.. Thanks so very much..

Beans

You have no samba shares defined in smb.conf.

If you did create any they must be samba usershares. So post the output of this command:
    Code:
    net usershare info --long

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    Did you run:
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt -y install samba
    Yes already tried this.. NO Go .. But Thanks