Thread: How can I remap keys for the whole system?

Beans

How can I remap keys for the whole system?

The single ctrl key my laptop (ideapad s145-15iwl) stopped working together with the /?° key. I already checked the flat, cleaned it, did everything but they would intermittently stop and come back, until they died for good.

What I wanted to know is if there's any way to remap it to the Fn key (and the Fn key to the Windows key, which isn't used) in a way it would work for the entire system, including the terminal and hotkeys.

So far I've only seen solutions that remap them for X and the GUI.

It wouldn't work for hotkeys, nor would it work inside a terminal.

I needed something that worked even in runlevel 1.

Is there something for it?

Thanks!

My Ubuntu version is 18.04 LTS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: How can I remap keys for the whole system?

Wow all that for a cheap replacement and it's backliight: https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-S.../dp/B0895GDJ1H
    that was US currency, they are not hard to replace, youtube would have a step by step.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    Wow all that for a cheap replacement and it's backliight: https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-S.../dp/B0895GDJ1H
    that was US currency, they are not hard to replace, youtube would have a step by step.
    First of all it isn't US currency, but price isn't the issue, it's time.

After cleaning and checking the flat cable failed, I ordered a new one. But there was an issue in the delivery, it should arrive in 3 days and it looks like it will take more.

While I wait for this to arrive (or for them to to refund me) I'm having to carry a whole keyboard with me everyday, I really can't work without a ctrl key.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Anyway, see if this can help, your first goal was a bit lofty: https://opensource.com/article/18/11...-your-keyboard
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As a quick stopgap, you could have your CapsLock key act as Control using the "caps:ctrl_modifier" xkb option. If you need Capslock, there are other options such as swapping the left Win with left Control. See Gnome Tweaks, keyboard tab, Additional layout options, or set an option with e.g. "setxkbmap -option caps:ctrl_modifier". The list of options can be found in "/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.lst"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Can you use the virtual keyboard Florence in the mean time to get you through?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Almost all keys can be remapped, but a few are directly connected to hardware stuff. If you use X/Windows, it isn't hard. There are
    The Fn is one of those connected to HW and I've never seen it remapped.
    https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/...tom-remap.html explains.
    This is after login and X/Session startup. Before that time or through a remote ssh connection, it won't apply.