Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Additional hard disk not showing

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Additional hard disk not showing

You show one partition as bitlocker which is Windows only and other as NTFS which probably has fast start up/hibernation flag set on.
    You could only open those two partitions if using Windows.

+1 on Dennis N's suggestion of a new gpt partition table. That in effect erases drive.
    Then you can partition it anyway you want.
    In gparted, select device in top menu and change from default MBR(msdos) to gpt. It should warn you that it will erase drive. Make sure you have selected sda, not your NVMe drive.

I like to label every partition, particularly those I do not normally mount with fstab. Then the auto mount uses the label, not some long UUID where I do not know what partition it really is.
    You can set labels with gparted, with disks (gnome disks) or command line.
    With gpt there now are two labels, one used by gpt as partition and one by the filesystem which will be used if auto mounted by file browser.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by justaguyy View Post
    Hi, Thanks for your time.
    There is no important data in my laptop.
    I wanted 256GB Nvme for my OS and 1TB for my /home folder
    Can you tell me how I can do that. If it means reinstalling, I can do that too.
    You have Ubuntu installed. To create a new partition table on sda, you boot Ubuntu and open the gparted application.
    Then it will scan your disks. After that's done, select the sda drive in the drive selector in upper right.

Then in the gparted menu: Device > Create Partition Table.
    Select GPT for type.
    Without actually looking at it, I think you can then click on 'Apply' and it will do the job.
    After that's done, make an ext4 partition for your use. In the menu: Patition > New. You have to give some details on the format of the file system (should be ext4) and size of the partition - I would not use the entire disk at once. You might wish to add another one later on.

You already have a home folder created during your install, and moving it now to the other disk is not trivial. You can ask here how to do that - start another thread. I've not done it, so won't give advice.

There is always the option of reinstalling and setting up the home folder on sda during installation.

On Names for partitions, they don't require one. Also, only partitions on GPT disks can be given names.
    Last edited by Dennis N; September 23rd, 2021 at 04:42 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How to mount partitions with native Linux file systems: Https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....9#post14048909
    This uses a "LABEL" method. There are others (device name, UUID, etc), but humans can understand and use the LABEL easiest.
    That post also says which file system type to be used for different purposes, which users coming from MS-Windows usually aren't ready to handle in a smart way.

There is also an Ubuntu fstab How-To that google can find easily. It deals with more complex situations which may or may not be helpful. Only you can decide.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12